Flap Steak???

Karl Repsher

TVWBB Fan
Hey all, after seeing Tony R's grub and use of flap steak I'm curious as to what it is, the French beef cuts are not the same as American, but I think this is what ya'll are calling flap steak. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The meat in question is in the front of the pic, behind are some entrecôtes (top sirloin?) grilling on the Genesis.

os4u.jpg

Thanks,

Karl

I've only seen it once in the local grocery store. I knew I should have picked it up then -- and I told Tony that. I am going to have to ask the butcher to square me away.

We seem to have the flap steak cut at our Costco very regularly. It's wonderful for carne asada and I also think it's fantastic for burger meat. Very flavorful.

I don't know a lot about it but the butcher at shop rite said the one I got was his favorite for Carne Asada, it said sirloin section flap steak

Thanks all for responding, it seems Bob Correll's link give me the answer, the French beef cut for flap steak is called bavette d'aloyau and that's what I have pictured, ...we have tons of it here and we grill it all of the time, several times now in Tony R's Carna Asada marinade, very good!

Also, like Pete in PG we use it in our hamburger mix, 65% chuck, 25% flap and 10% veal, like he said, makes for some scrumptious hamburgers (and if you don't have flap steak I think flank would work well too).

The meat grilled above was served with fries and sauce Roquefort, sorry no plated pics, everybody was just too hungry.

Karl

Back