Flanked again!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I found out early this am that I would be solo for dinner tonight, and I could hear the second flank steak from my CostCo 2-pack calling me from the freezer. So, I mixed up the same marinade from before (EVOO, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt, pepper), and set the flank out on the counter to marinate and thaw. After a long day "in the office", I got some charcoal going on my chimney, and, when ready, poured into my charcoal baskets in the center of the 26'er. I took one half of my split grates from my Q200, and put it right over the coals, then let it heat for about 10 minutes. Put the flank on the VERY hot grill 2 minutes per side direct, then slid the Q grate off to the side, and indirect another 2 minutes per side. While the steak was resting, I heated up some leftover homemade fettuccini with broccoli & pine nuts, then sliced and ate. The steak was delicious! Perfectly rare, great sear, though I could have sliced it just a bit thinner to help with a more tender bite. I just got a shipment of Creekstone flanks on special, so looking forward to those down the road. Just a couple pics tonight (plus a cocktail....) :)

Oh, and, how could I forget the bread that I baked off this am after an overnight final proof in the fridge.... :) (AP, freshly milled red spring wheat, rye and spelt.)

IMG_6958.jpeg

IMG_6959.jpeg

IMG_6956.jpeg

IMG_6961.jpeg

Hope everyone made it through the first half of the week ok....... :)

R

Just gorgeous Rich, the flank, the loaf and the refreshing cocktail. Let me guess, you have a flour mill and ground the spring wheat berries yourself! :D

Amazing. Just another Wednesday. You guys put my cooking to shame. My wife would be pissed if I cooked a meal like that when she was not around to enjoy it!

Just gorgeous Rich, the flank, the loaf and the refreshing cocktail. Let me guess, you have a flour mill and ground the spring wheat berries yourself! :D
My 50th birthday present from my sister and my mom as a Komo grain mill, Cliff. I have a supply of wheat, rye, spelt and durum berries on hand that I grind fresh to feed my starter, and to make bread (and pasta, etc, etc.) The taste difference is pretty amazing......having said that, I enjoyed everything I made previously to getting the mill, too, so whether you need one all ties into your level of obsessiveness, and willingness to spend! :)

Amazing. Just another Wednesday. You guys put my cooking to shame. My wife would be pissed if I cooked a meal like that when she was not around to enjoy it!
Exactly why everything was cleaned up and put away before she got home....... :)

R

Oh man, that all looks amazing! Milling your own flour, I thought we were doing good just using 00 for pizza:ROFLMAO:
It wasn't a big leap for me since I used to mill all my own grains for home brewing beer........and, I still use 00 for pizza. You can't replicate white flour at home without A LOT of effort, so the mill is used for the whole grains that go into our breads, baked goods and pasta. Also, milled flour goes stale (or can go rancid), so there's also the benefit of being able to keep whole berries on hand to mill when needed, and they store well for a long time. Did I mention obsessiveness? :)

R

Looks awesome Rich - what cocktail is that - an old fashioned or something more modern?
Sort of my own concoction..... 2 oz gin, 1.5 oz OJ, .5 oz simple syrup, 3-4 dashes orange bitters, and tonic. Garnished it with a dehydrated orange slice, but that's not necessary to make the cocktail. :) I used my favorite gin, which is Boomsma Jonge (young Dutch gin.) Tasty!

R

Back