Flakes inside lid falling on food

Mike Ren

Ive had my 22 wsm for about 9 months and have cooked a bunch on it...Last night i put on 35lbs of butts.... Full water pan and ran at or about 225 the whole night..Have cooked them this way with the wsm with great results.. That is until this morning...I went to open the lid and spray some apple juice on them and flakes started falling from the lid onto the meat...It's like a brown film that falls right off to the touch...This smoker is cleaned after EVERY use and is garage kept..Has any1 ever has this issue that can tell me what the heck it is and why it happened.. I have added some pictures as well...Thx in advance

w3.jpg

w1.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

not sure how i have 2 sign-ins on this site..Was wondering why it said i only had 1 post..lol... Anyways, any help would be appreciated..

When I use to use water the same happend to mine as well. Basically it is the steam action from the water loosening the gunk layer. Running dry will not do this unless your doing HH cooks. Ever now and then I have to take a crumpled piece of foil and knock the loose stuff out of the lid.

Mike, I had something similiar on my last butt cook and just last week, a rib cook, so I'd like to learn something about it as well.

Before the butt cook, I thought I had used my brass brush inside the lid, but maybe I had forgotten to. Anyway, I opened the lid to check the butts the next morning, and flakes had fell on the meat. I took some vinegar in a spray bottle and spritzed them till they all had washed off. Other than not knowing if I brushed the lid out before hand, I had five butts crammed in there, and had to smoke 'em with all vents wide open all night. That is probably twice as much ventilation as I normally would need. (Incidently, if I ever do five or six again, I will definately skip the water and turn/rotate the three that are on their side.)

Also, I did a rib cook recently and was surprised that I didn't put near enough wood in to keep the smoke going. Anyway, I only added three very small seasoned chunks of wood, one at a time, and the ribs ended up tasting much smokier than usual.
icon_confused.gif
They were ok, and my brother-in-law even said they were some of the best he'd had, but they tasted to me like they had gotten a little bad smoke, and they had. What was strange was that I had to keep all the vents wide open on this cook to get 250, but then they were all done in less than five hours, unlike the usual six. I was relying on the factory gauge that WAS within 5 degrees just a few months ago.
icon_redface.gif

Well, the next day, I noticed a light brown film on the inside of the lid that I haven't noticed before. I also checked the gauge and found out that it's not accurate anymore, reading over 15 degrees too low. That explains why I had to leave the vents wide open most of the cook to get what I thought was 250, allowing more air to the wood to burn too fast.

From now on, I'm gonna really be careful with how fast my wood burns and see if that helps. Other than these two cooks, I've NEVER had anything that pointed to getting bad smoke, and the only thing that was unique about the two cooks was vents staying wide open for most of the low-n-slow cooks. All I can think is that the wood wasn't smoldering "right" like it was with all my previous cooks, "burning" too fast. Who knows? My door is pretty tight, but is there enough ventilation with all three vents wide open for small seasoned wood chunks to eventually flame? I don't want that. I've noticed that my wsm now has a hint of a creosote odor, like my first offset.
icon_redface.gif
Glen's on to something with the water pan, as I haven't had a problem with my hi heat cooks thus far. I typically foil or be extra careful with my smoke in the case of chicken.

Sorry so wordy. Just thinkin' out loud.

The same thing happens with my cooker, too. Before each cook, I turn the garden hose on the inside of the lid and use a brush to scrub off that stuff so I'm back to the shiny black finish. Then nothing ever falls onto my food. If I don't follow that process, I get these same flakes.

Regards,
Chris

I haven't had any flakes in my WSM - I do get them in my gas grill from high temp heats but they are easy enough to knock off of that.

I clean my drip pan but I don't bother cleaning my smoker except for a spring cleaning once a year - and I don't have that problem.

Maybe your smoker is TOO clean
icon_wink.gif
(or maybe living in a desert area at high elevation contributes to my not having the flakes in the WSM... who knows)

I've had that nasty stuff every since I bought the cooker. I give my whole smoker a bath about once a year, but only when my other half is at work and doesn't know about it. It starts falling after about a year and I never really thought about just scraping it off. The last two years or so I've insisted on stripping the cooker pretty clean in the summer to smoke/dry chilis and other things like that in the fall first thing. I kind of decided that the greasy smell of an uncleaned cooker didn't seem like a good idea to mix w/ fresh picked chilis, or even fish. Although I could be wrong and it may not affect them that much, but it smells so much more pure that way and seemed more appitizing. Im starting to think it would be easier to have a cheap smoker around for smoking things that don't drip or make a mess though, but where would I put all this stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
When I use to use water the same happend to mine as well. Basically it is the steam action from the water loosening the gunk layer. Running dry will not do this unless your doing HH cooks. Ever now and then I have to take a crumpled piece of foil and knock the loose stuff out of the lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to the water pan contributing to the problem.

I had HUGE issues on a 18 hr plus 5 butt cook w/ water, but NO issue w/ flaking on the last low-n-slow 18 hour cook and a foiled pan. Scrub, Scrub, Scrub, if you're gonna use water in the pan!

I've found it's gotten a lot worse since my cooker is sealed better and I had to run it w/ the vents wide open all night due to so much meat. More wood smoldering had to contribute, and I'm still pretty sure that I brushed out the lid some before the cook where flaking on the meat was such an issue.....No water, no problem, though.

Back