First WSM Cook - What A Day!

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
First I want to thank Chris and everyone on this forum for all the knowledge I picked up here. Second - If you want to appreciate the WSM then start on an ECB. WOW! What a difference.

Last night my Grandson and I got two 7 lb. Butts injected and rubbed with Chris Lilly's recipes. I got up at 2:220 this morning and started the 1/3 chimney of Briquettes. The Butts were on at 2:50 AM. and I closed two vents as soon as the temp hit 220. Temp stabilized at 260 or there abouts. Temp control was so much easier and using the clay saucer instead of water was a non issue. By 10:40 the internal temp was at 180 and I double wrapped the Butts in foil with some Apple Juice and put them back on the cooker. One hour and twenty minutes in the foil and they were ready. I used a probe thermometer to check for tender and put them in a cooler with some towels. We're not eating for about 4 hours so I haven't check the finished product. When I do I'll post more pictures. Here's my First WSM Cook.

Pictures of finished product are in the above link.

I added pictures of the finished product to the above link.

If my Son-In-Law is any judge he said this is the best pulled pork I've made. I think I need more practice.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
The bones came out with a little twist and a tug. The meat was tasty, moist, tender,and pulled apart easily.

I really meant what I said about how much help you folks have been in my transition to the WSM.
Here's some of what I learned here in my 2 weeks reading these forums.
What mods made sense for me.
Get the temp in a range and don't get anal about precision.
Temp can be controlled using one intake vent.
I don't have to use water to get a good controllable cook.
When the internal temp gets close to target check the tenderness with a probe Thermometer.
How to cut down on the clean up after a cook.
And --- Relax and have fun.

I refer to my ECB and WSM as the Alpha and the Omega (The beginning and the end). At my stage in life I can't envision wanting or needing to try a different cooker.

wow that looks yummy ! but i must say that i ate lobster for mothers day so .. i can't complain
icon_smile.gif

Lew,

Looks awesome! What a great way to spend time with your grandson. That's a lifetime skill you're teaching that boy!

It looks like you had a lot of wood on the coals. What kind did you use? How did you like the smokiness level?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew Newby:
...Temp can be controlled using one intake vent.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats on the cook.

Be careful using just one intake vent open in windy conditions, though. Assuming your cooker is relatively tight in fit, you'll lose draft and temps with it if the only open vent ends up on the downwind side for very long.

I used a mix of Hickory and Ash. That looks like more wood than it was because I used up some Hickory chips that were given to me. Everyone liked the smoke level.

Dave, I thought I noticed that wind effect when I did my test burn on the cooker in strong winds but thanks for reinforcing what I though I saw. Yesterday was a perfect cooker day - just a light breeze.

Back