First Weber for restore

Ed Reed

So, motivated by the fine projects I've seen on this site, I've been looking for a possible renovation project when this came up on craigslist. I've missed a couple others, apparently the local market is fairly strong, and I've been outbid on a few earlier attempts.

This came up yesterday, and it was close by, so I was able to get this in my price range. But truthfully, it's in better condition than I expected. I'm probably going to just clean it, and paint the firebox and sides of the lid, should I dis-assemble the whole thing, the frame in great shape, no rust that I've seen.

The grate on this is the thin stainless steel, not sure if thats original or not, and there are 2 warming trays, anyway let me know what you would do. Just clean and use, or tear it down and redo from top to bottom. Thanks for your help and advice.

Do these tubes look bad enough to be replaced, he started it up for me before purchase, it started fine.

WydGqUH.jpg

yZ8EawP.jpg

w5e7y1o.jpg

0UWF7Jv.jpg

Last edited:
Clean the small orifices of any obstru with a wire brush...then press the tubes lightly, if they are not brittle you are good! Usually is the small cross tube the first one to go, if that's so you can just purchase that small tube by itself.

That looks in excellent condition. The burner tubes look good from here. If you want to paint the firebox it's best to remove it from the chassis. If the sides aren't too bad on the top you can tape off the porcelain part of the lid and spray the sides with high heat paint. To clean the porcelain on the lid take some 0000 steel wool and Windex and spray the top with a heavy coat of Windex and rub the steel wool VERY LIGHTY over the top and wipe off the Windex with a towel, the lid will look like new.

Last edited:
Nice find. My first resto project was about the same. All it needed was a little paint. I sold that one to start my current project, which needed some work.

Back