First use of a lodge skillet

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Can you walk me through the steps to get started using my lodge skillet.
I want to use it in my 26” this weekend.
I have had it a couple years but never used it.

I’d also appreciate any tips on cleaning and storing. Thanks

Answers to this could go a lot of directions, my friend! Depends a bit on what you are cooking, what you're cooking it on, which skillet you have (factory seasoned or not), etc, etc. Cooking in cast iron on the grill is pretty much the same as cooking in cast iron on the stovetop or oven, other than you have some differences in your heat source. Are you going to use the SF? That probably makes it most like oven cooking. If you have a particular dish in mind, I would recommend researching recipes that cook that in cast iron, and then tweaking from there.

Here's an example..... I'm going to cook a tri-tip on my 26" kettle this evening. Since I'll have the fire going anyway, I'll cook my brussels sprouts on there, too. (1) Light chimney full of Kingsford; (2) While that's happening, wash, trim and halve brussels sprouts, then toss in olive oil and choice of seasoning; (3) When flames are exiting the top of the chimney, dump coals to one side of kettle to set up a 2-zone fire, then put the empty CI skillet on indirect, lid closed, to preheat; (4) Tri-tip goes on the grill indirect, and the brussels go in the skillet (maybe with a bit of butter, just to grease things a bit more....especially since you have a virgin skillet); (5) Turn tri-tip every 10 minutes, and rotate the skillet (or thoroughly stir up sprouts so they are getting even heat); (6) When either of the two dishes is done, remove from the grill and hold until the other is done; (7) Eat.

That's generally what I do with a relatively simple side, but similar process with mushrooms, green beans, etc, etc. As far as cleaning goes, you are potentially getting into religious territory here......use of water, sponge, scrubber, soap, etc., are all topics that many people have very strong opinions about. In MY OPINION, if your seasoning is well established, there is no reason that you can't use water, sponge, scrubber (on particularly stubborn stuff)......I do avoid soap, but would use it if I really needed it. If your skillet is Lodge Logic (factory seasoned), it probably has a good seasoning on it already....though it can get better with use. I would avoid any hard scrubbing for a bit, just to be safe......you could also apply some additional layers of seasoning to it if you wanted.

Storing....after your cleaning method of choice, THOROUGHLY dry the skillet (I put mine on the stove on low for 5 minutes), and add a THIN layer of oil inside and outside (I use canola, others will swear by whatever they swear by, for whatever reasons they swear by it.....form your own opinion here, too), then wipe off that layer to make it even thinner, and store in your cabinet until you use it again.....tomorrow! ;)

Ok, so, this got long, but is barely even a whisper of what's out there for CI cooking......I'd start with the Lodge site recipes, Serious Eats has some good CI stuff, Food52, etc.

Oh, and there will likely be people that come along with opinions other than mine for you to consider. Consider them, use your CI, form your own opinion and carry on putting great food on the table! ;)

Hope I helped (or at least didn't make you more confused)!

R

Answers to this could go a lot of directions, my friend! Depends a bit on what you are cooking, what you're cooking it on, which skillet you have (factory seasoned or not), etc, etc. Cooking in cast iron on the grill is pretty much the same as cooking in cast iron on the stovetop or oven, other than you have some differences in your heat source. Are you going to use the SF? That probably makes it most like oven cooking. If you have a particular dish in mind, I would recommend researching recipes that cook that in cast iron, and then tweaking from there.

Here's an example..... I'm going to cook a tri-tip on my 26" kettle this evening. Since I'll have the fire going anyway, I'll cook my brussels sprouts on there, too. (1) Light chimney full of Kingsford; (2) While that's happening, wash, trim and halve brussels sprouts, then toss in olive oil and choice of seasoning; (3) When flames are exiting the top of the chimney, dump coals to one side of kettle to set up a 2-zone fire, then put the empty CI skillet on indirect, lid closed, to preheat; (4) Tri-tip goes on the grill indirect, and the brussels go in the skillet (maybe with a bit of butter, just to grease things a bit more....especially since you have a virgin skillet); (5) Turn tri-tip every 10 minutes, and rotate the skillet (or thoroughly stir up sprouts so they are getting even heat); (6) When either of the two dishes is done, remove from the grill and hold until the other is done; (7) Eat.

That's generally what I do with a relatively simple side, but similar process with mushrooms, green beans, etc, etc. As far as cleaning goes, you are potentially getting into religious territory here......use of water, sponge, scrubber, soap, etc., are all topics that many people have very strong opinions about. In MY OPINION, if your seasoning is well established, there is no reason that you can't use water, sponge, scrubber (on particularly stubborn stuff)......I do avoid soap, but would use it if I really needed it. If your skillet is Lodge Logic (factory seasoned), it probably has a good seasoning on it already....though it can get better with use. I would avoid any hard scrubbing for a bit, just to be safe......you could also apply some additional layers of seasoning to it if you wanted.

Storing....after your cleaning method of choice, THOROUGHLY dry the skillet (I put mine on the stove on low for 5 minutes), and add a THIN layer of oil inside and outside (I use canola, others will swear by whatever they swear by, for whatever reasons they swear by it.....form your own opinion here, too), then wipe off that layer to make it even thinner, and store in your cabinet until you use it again.....tomorrow! ;)

Ok, so, this got long, but is barely even a whisper of what's out there for CI cooking......I'd start with the Lodge site recipes, Serious Eats has some good CI stuff, Food52, etc.

Oh, and there will likely be people that come along with opinions other than mine for you to consider. Consider them, use your CI, form your own opinion and carry on putting great food on the table! ;)

R
Thanks for taking the time, I was actually thinking of using it on some Brussel sprouts so that sounds perfect.
Thanks again. I’ll try and find out if it’s lodge logic.

Thanks for taking the time, I was actually thinking of using it on some Brussel sprouts so that sounds perfect.
Thanks again. I’ll try and find out if it’s lodge logic.
If it's not already seasoned, then you need to season it first (a whole different topic), so you'd need to cook those sprouts in something else...... :)

If you acquired it used, and already seasoned, and the seasoning looks solid, then I say go for it! If for some reason the seasoning doesn't seem solid afterward, you could always strip it (I use my oven in self clean mode), then reseason.

R

R
Bruno,
I just got my first Lodge CI Skillet about two weeks ago. It was pre seasoned and after a lot of research I do almost exactly what Rich advised above, down to the point of making sure it is ready to use again tomorrow. Also after just two weeks of almost daily use and following the above advice I am already seeing it be better and better seasoned, if I am saying that right?

We have 12-13 CI pans and Dutch ovens. We cook inside and outside almost daily with them. I have dedicated CI for outside so that the inside ones don't get a smoke coating on them. I do store all of them inside to avoid humidity and dampness.
I pretty much follow what Rich said as far as taking care of them, clean with hot water and avoid soap if possible, dry well and coat with a very light coat of your oil of choice.
I've found that using them is what keeps the seasoning in place and if I have to reaseason which is not very often, after that process cook something high in fat like bacon the first couple of times to get a good non stick coating going.
The only drawback to CI seems to be they appear to get heavier as I get older.

We have 12-13 CI pans and Dutch ovens. We cook inside and outside almost daily with them. I have dedicated CI for outside so that the inside ones don't get a smoke coating on them. I do store all of them inside to avoid humidity and dampness.
I pretty much follow what Rich said as far as taking care of them, clean with hot water and avoid soap if possible, dry well and coat with a very light coat of your oil of choice.
I've found that using them is what keeps the seasoning in place and if I have to reaseason which is not very often, after that process cook something high in fat like bacon the first couple of times to get a good non stick coating going.
The only drawback to CI seems to be they appear to get heavier as I get older.
Thanks!! I’m going with that plan, the lodge stuff is cheap enough I ordered a back up, so I can experiment with this one. It’s only for sides on the 26”.

Thanks!! I’m going with that plan, the lodge stuff is cheap enough I ordered a back up, so I can experiment with this one. It’s only for sides on the 26”.
Well, you are going to be happy, then! The Lodge stuff, while cheap, will last you forever. Even if you need to re-season it for some reason, that's relatively easy enough to do. You really will not ruin the pan, so, now you will have two! :)

Well, you are going to be happy, then! The Lodge stuff, while cheap, will last you forever. Even if you need to re-season it for some reason, that's relatively easy enough to do. You really will not ruin the pan, so, now you will have two! :)
Thanks Rich, I think that was my plan all along, I had to sell the wife that I needed a back up.
Well I’m sure most of you have some Lodge stuff but that 10” skillet for $14.88 is a lot of bang for your buck. 812604F7-A740-4D8B-8804-35B615DDB58A.png

I've got a few lodge pans that are about 10 to 15 years old and they work great and cook as well as my smooth surfaced stuff. It's probably because the seasoning has had time to fill in the bumps and I've worn the bumps down from cooking in them for so long.

I use a plastic scraper to clean my CI. Scrape it under running water, hand dry, then I have a silicone scrubber thing I use to re-oil the pans. The silicone will spread it all evenly and won't soak up any of the oil.

1596150026942.png
1596150062492.png

I have almost 60 pieces of cast iron.... I’m kind of a nut.

If you really want to accelerate the seasoning process on a piece of cast-iron cookware, park that sucker on the stove top and use it for everything. Cook eggs in it, bake cornbread and roast chickens in it, seriously use it for everything.

Do a suggested and avoid soap, if you’re going to dry it on the stove you don’t need soap because you’re sanitizing it by heating it up on the stove. Treat it nice and it will treat you better, and they just get better with age.

Back