First Turkey on WSM - Practice for turkey day

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I decided to try a turkey this past Monday, don't want to wait until turkey day and then ruin it. I bought a 9+ pound turkey and loaded up with KBB. I did a 4/5 chimney of lit KBB and spread it on top rather than my usual can method. I was able to maintain 325, most of the time it was closer to 350 for 4 hours. The bird took just under 3 hours to cook. I did let it go a bit long, the dry meat tasted like what my mother used to make, but the dark meat and wings were perfect!
On T day I will wrap the breast before it goes to far.

Oh and I pick up my WSM 14.5 on Friday - pictures of it to follow later

Looks great. You can try icing down the breast meat to get it to cook slower. Did you brine or inject it at all?

I only brined for about 60 minutes (the wife doesn't like smoke or brine) and I injected with apple juice.

I think the problem is that I was getting the dark meat to 170 and the white got to 170 before the dark did (may have been closer to 180)

Jeff you might consider injecting your bird with a compound butter mixture. I use butter, stock and Simon & Garfunkel rub. It works really well in the breast meat and the drums. Adds flavor and moisture. I kettle cook my birds with stuffing so I need something to keep the breast moist while I get the dressing up to 160.

Back