First try - Lamb Ribs (advices are welcome)

Damir

Hi everyone! New member here.

I was grilling here and then for about last 10 years and wanted to finally try smoking. Got WMS 47cm (middle size) and it didn't really went as it should so I wanted to ask more experienced members for tips.
I smoked the ribs on 110-120C (230-248F) for about 3:20 hrs, then one of the ribs coated with sauce, wrapped with foil and continued to smoke them for 20 mins.
End result was that ribs where chewy. Especially ones without alum foil and sauce and were dry between the bones. I tried to find good recipe but most are for pork.
Is alum foil must for smoking ribs? Can I get some tips so I don't screw up again?
I wanted to smoke lamb's leg and shank next, but now I am bit afraid I will ruin it again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200701_102859.jpg
    Screenshot_20200701_102859.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20200627-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20200627-WA0019.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20200627-WA0021.jpeg
    IMG-20200627-WA0021.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 11
Most of the commercial pork ribs are pretty fatty, your lamb looks leaner so spritzing with apple juice/olive oil 50/50 mix might help(shake bottle, I do this with goat leg) I haven't heard of anyone doing lamb ribs, so you might be breaking new ground, try cooking 2hrs, foiling for 2hrs(add oil, meat side down) saucing & setting sauce for at least 20mins, that's how long my pork ribs last until I'm into 'em, with thinner lamb ribs the cooking times may have to be reduced, BUT this is all guesswork based on pork ribs, you shouldn't have a problem with the leg, I've done Lamb, Goat & Deer, just use normal oven temps & use a temp probe for when their done.

For some reason here in the U.S. finding a lamb rib like that is pretty unusual, I think I had some maybe fifteen years ago and yours are much more meaty than the ones I had. I’d lean more toward hot/ fast and get them off let them rest.
Interesting, my wife is of Croatian descent but she does not like lamb! Her loss, my gain!

Guys, thank you for reply. The cut was fatty and meaty because lamb was bit bigger than usual. It was 16-17 kg instead of preferred 13-15kg. I got it directly from farm without any middleman so maybe that's why a cut was bit unusual. :)
Can I get any more specific times? Wow long to cook? What temp? When to wrap it?
Btw here in Croatia we either adore lamb, or can't stand it. It is about 90%-10%.

I’m in the 90% side!
I think I’d go more like 350-375 (F) probably not much more than an hour to 1 1/2. I like my lamb medium-medium rare. So, 130-135?
We get racks of lamb which are more the lion side, (think lamb rib chops) yours look more like some sort of spare rib.
Send some pictures of some uncooked from both sides?
Wife’s maiden name was Krizanic, no one can spell it! Spell it like it sounds, not that hard.

Damir,
I have never cooked lamb, but I literally have lamb kabobs waiting to go on the Master Touch here in a few hours. The website below has been extremely helpful to me as I try to learn about the protein. I have the tab specifically on ribs. I hope this helps.

@Timothy F. Lewis Your wife's maiden name mas probably Križanić, but yea, our language is easy to spell. Every letter has it's sound and it's always spelled same.
Men are always on 90% side. :LOL:
I think you might be right. I probably cooked them for too long and foil is must. Not sure about foiling them first tho.

I would not foil them either.
Damir, that’s exactly right spelling! I sent the anglicized version.
Now I want lamb!

Back