First Try At Snake Method

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
As I promised in my Smoke Day thread, here (hopefully) are the photos I took documenting my efforts - sorry for the delay:

Here's a beautiful photo, suitable for framing, of my still-packaged butt, prior to preparation:

Here's the freshly-rubbed butt ready for injection - I use a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar & apple juice - the screwdriver components depicted in the background were consumed orally, not intravenously, by the way:

Here's my kettle grill setup with 4-deep K-Competition briquettes and hickory chunks for smoke:

Here's my butt, rubbed, injected, and ready to go:

As I reported in my earlier thread, the fuel was spent after 8.5 hours, but the internal temperature was only 176º:

I wrapped it in a double layer of aluminum foil, and put it in a 300º oven - it took a little over an hour to break through the plateau, and I took it out at 200º, wrapped it in foil and a towel, and placed it in a cooler for about two hours:

Here's the final, shredded product:

All in all, I was happy with the results and despite having to attend to a few spikes and dips, it was a relatively simple process.

Regards,

Rooster

Rooster - good looking pig there. What temp did you run your grill at for the cook? How did you like the snake? I have only used the snake for low temp cooks for cheese or bacon. How did it perform at higher temps for a butt? Please advise.

Regards,

John

Rooster - good looking pig there. What temp did you run your grill at for the cook? How did you like the snake? I have only used the snake for low temp cooks for cheese or bacon. How did it perform at higher temps for a butt? Please advise.

Regards,

John

John, at first it settled in @ about 250* (all vents wide open), but then it started "yo-yoing", rising to about 282*; I started adjusting the vents, and it went down to 225* (too low for my tastes, I wanted a quicker cook); I finally got it back to 250* -sumpin', and it maintained that until the fuel was spent.

I'm thinking my ill-fitting top may have had something to do with having to fiddle too much with the vents - I've since tried (successfully, I hope) to carefully bend the out-of-round portion to match the kettle - I plan to do another 7.5 Lb butt tomorrow, using regular K-briquettes this time, to see if I've managed to correct the top being out-of-round, and determine if the blue burns longer than the comp...

Regards,

Rooster

OOPS! Forgot to include that I used a loaf pan with hot water as a heat sink - will omit that tomorrow to see what difference it makes, if any, in maintaining the proper temps.

Last edited:
looks Good Roost!

I plan to do another 7.5 Lb butt tomorrow...I used a loaf pan with hot water as a heat sink - will omit that tomorrow to see what difference it makes...
too early for the results???

Did you put cola on it during the cook? I like the bark on that bad boy
Nice cook

Pork looking good! Wondering how you can get a snake running 10+ hours.Waiting for your results using KBB

Did you put cola on it during the cook? I like the bark on that bad boy
Nice cook

ChuckO:

Thanks to you and all for the kind remarks - nothing but my rub went on the outside of the butt - I use a VERY simple rub consisting of equal parts of Kosher salt, table grind black pepper, sweet paprika, and brown sugar. Always had favorable comments and good results with it...

Regards,

Rooster

Pork looking good! Wondering how you can get a snake running 10+ hours.Waiting for your results using KBB

Greg:

Last Saturday I used regular K briquettes - same configuration (2 on 2, topped with hickory chunks) and no heat sink; results practically the same. Ambient conditions were comparable to those associated with my first snake method smoke - this one lasted about nine hours (my 7.57 Lb butt's internal temp was again at 175º - had to put 'er in a 300º oven for one-and-a-half hours to reach 200º internal.) No injection this time.

Regards,

Rooster

Back