First try at pork belly on the SmokeFire, any suggestions?

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
I’m copying Jeremy Yoder’s recipe and marinating in mirin, soy sauce and gochujang, I picked up a nice cut at Costco and the wife wanted me to try it, so here we go. I cut it in 4 pieces and have 3 in marinade. I added a little rice wine vinegar as well.

I’ll season the 4th piece with something sweet to hopefully get my 9 year old to try it.

I’m thinking of going 225, and not wrapping. I’ll pull when tender and I’m hoping the temp would be 200 or so.

Any thoughts on smoked pork belly? My oldest is determined it will suck due to the high fat content so I’m hoping to pull his off.

Bruno, you know me, I went racing to my pork recipes made binder and found we have made pork belly 4 times in the past 5 years. The one that got a "delicious" rating says I posted the recipe here back in 4-5-20. Will try to find and bump up. It's GREAT that we can still find pork with some FAT on it. Most of the stuff is just too darn lean for me.

Last edited:
A little behind schedule so I wrapped them in foil. Wasn’t my plan but wife has us a little date at noon.

Put em on at 225 at 2:30 AM, I have to remember the SmokeFire runs lower than it says.

197 on all 4, going to go for another 30-40 minutes and out the in a cooler, taking the wife to see John Wick 4, fancy theater with $5 bloody Mary’s until 3.😃

Yep I got tricked into this one, didn’t realize Dubs were the early game. Ohh well, should be fun and coming home to a great dinner.

Going to probably make some sort of taco, maybe Asian themed??

197 on all 4, going to go for another 30-40 minutes and out the in a cooler, taking the wife to see John Wick 4, fancy theater with $5 bloody Mary’s until 3.😃

Yep I got tricked into this one, didn’t realize Dubs were the early game. Ohh well, should be fun and coming home to a great dinner.

Going to probably make some sort of taco, maybe Asian themed??
Bahn mi style. Pickle some veggies, add jalapeños, spread the bread with mayo and sambal and thinly slice the PB. And a few green onions.

Bruno,
Looks like a very good cook. But for me I see 3 arties and a heart valve going down hill real fast. But you are younger so you can work it off.
The smoke fore did a great job on these nice color and the meat did not look over cooked.
Nice.

Bruno,
Looks like a very good cook. But for me I see 3 arties and a heart valve going down hill real fast. But you are younger so you can work it off.
The smoke fore did a great job on these nice color and the meat did not look over cooked.
Nice.
Yeah I don’t see the draw here, this could be a one timer.
Going to make some tacos for dinner so we will see what the kids think.

I like the one with the Oakridge rub better than the mirin soy sauce one.

Yeah I don’t see the draw here, this could be a one timer.
Going to make some tacos for dinner so we will see what the kids think.

I like the one with the Oakridge rub better than the mirin soy sauce one.
Yes my wife does pork belly like that,well when we were younger that is put on bib lettuce,with rice kimichi and gouchaghon .
Reminds me of the Seoul street food.

Cane out pretty damn good, but that is seriously 2-3 bite stuff. Need to pickle some onions like Bret said you need to break up that fat with some thing.View attachment 69531
Bruno,
They look amazing, but I am with you a few bites and done. I did pork belly burnt ends for July 4 last year really enjoyed them, but haven't made them since. Every time I get a pork belly it turns into bacon, which the family enjoy much more. I saw the start of this thread this morning and almost said my advice is be ready to be done after a few bites. Al pastor inspired tacos for the leftovers sounds amazing to me!

Back