First Tri-tip

Steve P. (Timmee)

TVWBB Member
So, today I decided to attempt my first Tri-Tip on my 22.5" OTG. The rub ended up a little spicier than I care for, and the meat ended up a little rarer than I care for (I cooked it indirect to 135 internal, then a few minutes direct over the coals), but it was still a decent meal. Next time, I'm going to try a rub with a little less spice, and take it to 145 internal temperature. Anyways, enough talking, time for the pics.

On the grill, with the rub applied and temperature probe inserted.

xlib.jpg

After I moved it to direct heat.

n3x4.jpg

Other side, with grill marks.

xzg7.jpg

Resting, on the cutting board.

c1e9.jpg

On the plate, with corn, cheesy pasta and broccoli, and cheddar garlic biscuits.

m54j.jpg

Very nice, Looks cooked just the way I like it. If its a little too rare for you just throw them in a pan far a little bit. That what my Wife does, she likes hers done a little more than I like too.

I'll never forget my first...

As to the "too rare for your taste", when making left overs, give the slices a quick sear in the pan, thats how I did mine and found them a touch over done for my liking :) should be perfect for you!

Steve, don't forget to always carve your TT across the grain for better tenderness. That TT you cooked would only last a wink of the eye at my house. Nice first time.

Great looking tri tip Steve!

Just salt, pepper, and garlic powder is nice for a rub.

As Bill W mentioned above, make sure to slice across the grain for tenderness.
Chris A has a nice little video on the how to.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This hobby is a fun and tasty one, and everything I've learned about barbecuing and grilling I've learned here. I'm looking forward to learning more from you all. :wsm:

Back