First-timer considering Genesis resto

Thanks! I'm sure the durawood holds up better; the wood table slats on mine are shot and the handle has been replaced with basically a random slab o'wood.

You're right mine are 18 years old and still look like new.

Last edited:
I changed my old genesis 1000 side tables from real wood to durawood just for ease of future maintenance. It wasn't cheap but I would do it again.

Pulled the trigger - a mere $40 to bring home this diamond in the rough.
cdRqofv.jpg

First thing I'm going to need is a caster - every time I lift the lid, the whole thing tilts backward. Firebox is very dirty but I think the burners are okay - lit up when I tested them. The FBs are a little rough, but they feel solid and don't have that "toothy" appearance I was told to look out for, so maybe they'll be alright.
8BpneHP.jpg
Dplxh2L.jpg
T7qEmPL.jpg

But the SS grates are probably toast, right? No big deal - I knew I'd be investing some cash in replacement parts and they are readily available. Guy I work with mentioned an "ammonia trick" for cleaning SS grates - can anyone vouch for this method? Might be worth a try.
akTgNja.png

Two items that won't be saved by any cleaning tricks are the shelf brackets and the firebox rails. Hope these parts aren't too hard to come by.
5VFZEzk.jpg
I8t4HKp.jpg

Hood is in good shape and the end caps look decent too.
SRNUby4.jpg

Off to Home Depot for some simple green, steel wool and a putty knife. Let the fun begin!

Yah, it doesnt look like you are going to have to replace any of the guts from what I can tell. So, for a few dollars in cleaning supplies, several hours of work, you should wind up with a grill that will serve you well for years.

M Kevin,
Congratulations, for $40 you did well.

Looking at your pics it appears the burner tubes as well as the cooking grates and flavorizer bars are ok for now, just give them a good cleaning and make sure the grill performs as expected. You can always replace them with stainless down the road.

Weber now makes the drip tray rails out of aluminum so no more rusting once replaced.

Although not listed rcplanebuyer on e-bay makes the shelf bracket out of stainless steel or you can make your own like several members here have done. If you decide to replace the grates & flavorizer bars he too, is the man to see.

If you want to check out my restored Weber Platinum see this link:
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?66377-Genesis-Platinum-Series-II-Restoration-started

Take your time,snap some pictures of the process along the way, and you'll be beaming with pride the first time you cook on you USA made Weber!

Jeff

Last edited:
Glad to hear I did well with my purchase. Only real misgiving is the hood color. I had been thinking I could just repaint, but after perusing these forums I learned that would be a big mistake. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for someone getting rid of a greenie or redhead, I could swap out the hood.

With a little cleaning and love you will have one great grill, nice score. I second the endorsement of Rcplanebuyer, super good products and a nice guy too.

Can someone send me rcplanebuyer's contact info?

I ended up going through eBay, which means RC loses a % to eBay/PayPal. After, I found that other members had PM'd me both his email address, but also a link to his contact on Craigslist. I haven't looked today, but a month ago you could find in in the San Francisco Craigslist, listing some stainless grates.

I feel that if you contact through eBay, then you really need to purchase through eBay, which seems to cost the seller about 10-15% in eBay and PayPal fees.

Heh, Even if I contact through EBay I do try to find a way to go outside of Ebay (whether I buy or sell). By the time I get done paying all of Ebay's fees the KitchenAid mixers I remanufacture and sell I have to typically get between $30 and $50 MORE to make the same margin. I only sell through Ebay as a last resort.

I couldn't find him on the SF craigslist. Not sure how to find him, but I searched for "Weber Stainless" and I got was listings for complete grills.

Hey guys, don't discount ordering direct from Weber. I found their prices competitive and you don't have to worry about getting knock of products or the wrong ones. I made a $120 order to include a grate set and they only charged $6.34 for shipping.

Bruce, if you want the heavy stainless grates from Weber they're like $120 PER PIECE but RC charges only about $120 for the set. His quality of product is superior to OEM also. Heavier gauge, better material

I will keep that in mind. However, I am refurbishing these grills for resale and cannot afford to put that much into them and still be able to sell a 10 year old plus grill for enough to recoup my money if I am replacing the grate for $120 (plus a hefty shipping fee). But, if I was redoing a grill for my personal use, that is probably the route I would go.

How much longer does the stainless grate last over the cast iron assuming they were both maintained the same?

A "good" ss grate (i.e. like RC's grates) last a lifetime as opposed to CI which can go a few years.

Back