First time smoking 4lb Brisket - 225 degrees ~ 5 hours

SusanToh

Hi All,

I have been reading a lot on how to smoke meat and today finally take the plunge and smoke a 4lb flat cut brisket @ 225 degrees for about 5 hours. It turns out pretty good for a first timer but I have a few questions. I am sure some of these questions have been answered and I apologize if it has been asked before.

1. Do you guys watch it like a hawk?
I didn't stare at it but I checked on it quiet a few times during the process. I would say once every 15 minutes since this is my first time smoking. I am also a little paranoid about unattended fire/lit charcoals. Maybe it is due to childhood experience (neighbor's car caught on fire in the middle of the night). However after today's experience (consider how well WSM is built), I felt it is okay to leave unattended for 30 min or even an hour.

2. Temperature
How do you guys do it? I was aiming 225 degrees all the way (with bowl of water) and for most of the time, I was able to do that. I started in the morning so I know I need the vents open wider compared to when it was in the afternoon. Then in the afternoon the wind suddenly start to pick up so I have to close the vents again. It is not a problem if I watch it every 15 min. but what happen if I want to leave it for an hour?

3. Smoke ring
So after 5 hours, brisket comes out to be pretty good but I don't feel it is smokey enough. Wife thinks it is. Is it because I have been sitting next to the WSM whole day and kept smelling the smoke that come out from the vent? :confused:

Here is some of the pictures that I took today :)

Brisket:
9543715758_426c988e3b.jpg

9543717490_aeb777312b.jpg

Decided to throw in some chicken legs as well:
9543716374_f02d00bc97.jpg

first off, looks like you done good. now for your questions.

1.yes and no. I check my temps frequently, but try not to open it up very often.

2.get it dialed in and temp steady for a bit before putting the meat on. if the wind picks up, adjust the vents a bit. once it's temp steady, unless you add or remove oxygen, it'll run at that temp until out of fuel or extreme change in ambient temp.

3. your #3 was more of a statement than a question(just razzin ya a bit), but i'll offer some input. pic #2 shows a decent ring imho, so it was in the smoke long enough. if you want more of a smoke flavor, use a stronger smoke wood like hickory or mesquite. or cheat and inject some liquid smoke.

susan, try the snake approach...
this guy is a bit over the lid, but he gives you the general direction...

[video=youtube;XiGRbyg_zeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XiGRbyg_zeI[/video]

oh, and WELCOME to our addiction!! You'll soon understand why.....

Last edited:
Thank you both Bill and Jim for your responses.

I see some people actually build a shade or a wind barrier so the temperature doesn't fluctuates when the wind kicks in so I think that's what I am going to do next. I think I am using the 'Minion' method to lit the fire but the snake method is interesting. I am not sure if I have the patient to stack those briquettes one by one :p.

I am gonna try some smoke salmon and pork butt this weekend!

So while I was cleaning my WSM yesterday, one of my neighbors stopped by (we live in a Condo area) and commented on how good it smells. Have you guys had neighbor complain about the smoke or smell?

So while I was cleaning my WSM yesterday, one of my neighbors stopped by (we live in a Condo area) and commented on how good it smells. Have you guys had neighbor complain about the smoke or smell?

Have never had my neighbors complain. On one side, they also do (some) BBQ ;)
Next cook, you might want to send some samples over to that neighbor.
Spread the BBQ love !

Was the brisket done enough after just 5 hours? Usually that size of brisket should take 7.5-10 hours.

My neighbors are amazed at my set up asking me why so many grills. Told them they each have a purpose or specialty. After tasting my cooking, they now understood. All meats are different and need their own special attention. I am just over the top. I am a long time Bear fan here and usually go to a lot of the games. This year I am thinking about staying home and hosting my own tailgate party and 60in plasma setup for games.

Was the brisket done enough after just 5 hours? Usually that size of brisket should take 7.5-10 hours.

Hmm to be honest I am not sure. I don't have a thermometer (one is on its way from amazon) but it was toothpick tender. Maybe that's why I think it is not Smokey enough. At what temperature it should be considered as ready?

My neighbors are amazed at my set up asking me why so many grills. Told them they each have a purpose or specialty. After tasting my cooking, they now understood. All meats are different and need their own special attention. I am just over the top. I am a long time Bear fan here and usually go to a lot of the games. This year I am thinking about staying home and hosting my own tailgate party and 60in plasma setup for games.

I am sure I will get that question soon too. I didn't know I have this many grill until my wife listed them out. Here is my grill family:
- Weber kettle
- Weber genesis silver
- Weber Smokey Joe
- Weber Q200
- 18.5 WSM

Have never had my neighbors complain. On one side, they also do (some) BBQ ;)
Next cook, you might want to send some samples over to that neighbor.
Spread the BBQ love !

I was just telling my wife maybe I should give them some next time I smoke hehe

Hmm to be honest I am not sure. I don't have a thermometer (one is on its way from amazon) but it was toothpick tender. Maybe that's why I think it is not Smokey enough. At what temperature it should be considered as ready?
Better to go by tenderness than temp anyway. Your cook looks great! :)

So just to address your concerns, overnight cooks without attention are no problem ... It's not an egg waiting to hatch ...keep the lid closed and leave it alone .. I hope you have a good thermometer coming such as the maverick 732... You will be able to watch both your meat temp and your wsm temp ... Watch videos, many on wsm cooks ... Search this and other forums such as smokingmeatsforum.com and BBQ breathrens ... You will learn a ton and ask as many questions as you need too ... Happy smoking!!!

SusanTOH, thank you for posting this. I was just about to do the exact same post. I bought a brisket flat that is just shy of 5lbs, and was wondering if I made a mistake getting something that small, and was wondering how long it would take. What kind of wood did you use?

From what I've seen, the brisket that size has taken in all the smoke it will by the 4-5 hour mark. That's about when I see it hit the stall, and the IT will be around 160-170. I usually foil it at this point to get it to the temperature I want, which can be anywhere from 180-205. This is where you could use your toothpick to check.

Also, after it's done, it is very important to let it sit wrapped in a cooler for a bit. This could be anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours, the longer the better.

Better to go by tenderness than temp anyway. Your cook looks great! :)

Thank you! Depending on my family mood, I will try to smoke pork butt or salmon this weekend. It will be interesting...

So just to address your concerns, overnight cooks without attention are no problem ... It's not an egg waiting to hatch ...keep the lid closed and leave it alone .. I hope you have a good thermometer coming such as the maverick 732... You will be able to watch both your meat temp and your wsm temp ... Watch videos, many on wsm cooks ... Search this and other forums such as smokingmeatsforum.com and BBQ breathrens ... You will learn a ton and ask as many questions as you need too ... Happy smoking!!!

That's good to know. I don't think I have the guts to leave it unattended but it sounds like it should be ok for a few hours :). Thank you!

SusanTOH, thank you for posting this. I was just about to do the exact same post. I bought a brisket flat that is just shy of 5lbs, and was wondering if I made a mistake getting something that small, and was wondering how long it would take. What kind of wood did you use?

I tried with the smallest I could find since this is my first time smoking meat. We still have some left over in the fridge :). I used Apple wood and it has a nice sweet smell to it. Next time I am going to do a combination of hickory and apple since I don't feel it is smokey enough. Have fun smoking and let us know how it turns out :).

From what I've seen, the brisket that size has taken in all the smoke it will by the 4-5 hour mark. That's about when I see it hit the stall, and the IT will be around 160-170. I usually foil it at this point to get it to the temperature I want, which can be anywhere from 180-205. This is where you could use your toothpick to check.

Also, after it's done, it is very important to let it sit wrapped in a cooler for a bit. This could be anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours, the longer the better.

Ah I wrapped it for 30 minutes and then started to slice since I don't have the patience lol! Next time I will follow your suggestion and see if I can get it more tender. Thank you!

Back