First Time Ribs & Wings on the WSM

Brandon Risko

TVWBB Member
I decided to try ribs and wings today for the first time on the WSM. I went ahead and prepared the ribs 3 different ways to see which one I liked the best. Two half racks were rubbed w/ Oakridge competition pork rub, one of which was just left dry rubbed and the other was sauced with Famous Dave's Devils Spit sauce. The other half rack was rubbed with a local Apple Pie rub and sauced with a Ghost Pepper BBQ sauce from the same local company. I also reduced the sauce 1:1 with some apple jelly, which helped add to the sweetness and cut some of the heat.

CameraZOOM-20120528164803971.jpg

The wings were coated with a bit of EVOO and Weber's Kickin' Chicken. I finished by tossing them in a homemade spicy buffalo sauce consisting of Frank's Red Hot, Butter and garlic.

CameraZOOM-20120528075043368.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120528171737247.jpg

I used the 2-2-1 method on the ribs at around 225-250*. For 1 hr of the foiled portion, I cooked them in the oven, so I could start smoking the wings on the top rack of the WSM. I then put the ribs back on the WSM to finish and moved the wings to the OTG to finish over direct to crisp the skin.

CameraZOOM-20120528145030980.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120528171647670.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120528172212548.jpg

Next time I would probably try to cook the ribs a bit less...near the end, temps were approaching 275* and they got a bit more done than I would prefer. However, they were super moist and all fell right off the bone...maybe too tender for some. My favorite ribs were surprisingly the apple pie ones, although they had a slow burn that snuck up on you after a bit. Very good flavor though! Sides were just beans and a Chipotle pasta salad that my wife whipped up.

CameraZOOM-20120528172750984.jpg

You knocked those ribs and flaps outta the park Brandon! I have a bottle of "Spit" I will be using soon. Good stuff, but it's so hot it's almost cool.
icon_redface.gif

Holy smokes that plate looks fantastic.. I may have to wrestle the plate out of Lampe's hands but I think I will be up to the task!

Looks great, Brandon! Oakridge rubs are excellent and the Kickin' Chicken is a fantastic seasoning. Little scared of the ghost chili sauce, though.

Back