first time pastrami question

Scott Hoofman

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm doing the site's pastrami recipe with two briskets (both flats) - one 7.5# and one 4.5#. Started the cure process on the bigger one tonight (Sunday 10:30p) and plan on starting the smaller one Monday morning. The bigger one is rather thick (approx. 3" toward the middle) that I felt I needed a longer curing process. I plan on smoking them Thursday. That means the bigger one will go past the recommended curing time by about 10 or twelve hours. Is this going to present a problem? And if I shouldn't go past the recommended time, can I rinse it off Wed. night and leave it in the fridge until thursdays smoke?

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Hoofman:
can I rinse it off Wed. night and leave it in the fridge until thursdays smoke? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I usually start my cures in the evening of day one with an eye towards cooking them on day four. I think I would wait until Monday evening to start curing the 4.5#, and rinse the 7.5# Wednesday, but not soak it in freshwater until Thursday before cooking.

I did one thick pastrami that was aroudn 7 pounds and even with curing it extra time in the fridge did not cure all the way. Like anything you cure you will need to cure something thicker longer.

On the same note, even if the cure doesn't get to the thickest parts it is not all lost. It will still taste phenominal.

If it were my pastrami (unfortunaly it isn't) I would cure it the extra time and then soak it right before the smoke.

My opinion.

Josh

Back