First time BBQing rabbit

elmo

TVWBB Fan
so yesterday, i BBQed rabbit for first time in my life. Also did turkey legs, rack of lamb, chicken, Tbone steak and it was lots of fun.

It was also first time i use the performer this winter with snow.

I am surprised rabbit did not take long time to cook indirect and cooked until internal temp of 160F.

The Tbone steaks and chicken smelled really good.

My mom marinated everything since i did not have the chance to and she used a mix of everything and lots of different spices.

Family came over. Most people did not touch the rabbit though because they felt sorry for it and said it is cute and too cute to eat a rabbit.

I told them chickens are cute too but you eat them!!!! They did not agree that chickens are cute.

So we have most of the rabbit still in fridge.

Chicken and steaks and lamb were more liked by everyone.

I will post pics soon.

I did notice that charcoal did not last as long because of cold weather and wind but loved the ease of performer and the gas lighting option of charcoal. Controlling temp with bottom vents was great also, even in the cold.

It was like -10c with the 45 km/h wind!!

elmo

i was traumatized by a rabbit in a butcher case. i ate rabbit in my earlier years. i like it. but many years later i was on vacation and walked into a country store. i was checking things out and then saw a skinned rabbit displayed in a sitting up position. i'm sorry but that thing looked like a human fetus. i just about passed out and lost my lunch. now i can't look at them without getting a very light feeling stomach. i know its crazy but thats the way it is. didn't help that my wife still laughs at me about that.

Back in my rabbit hunting days I used to fry them and make hasenfeffer, but my only barbecued rabbit still brings a smile to my face.

Back in the 70's my neighbor/friend/hunting buddy said:
"Let's go get a rabbit from the farmer down the road that sells dressed rabbits, and barbecue it."

Off we went, but upon arriving we found the farmer didn't have any dressed ones, so he says just pick one from his live selection.
We watched as he killed, and dressed out our choice.

As I recall it tasted pretty good, but my buddy couldn't eat one bite, and I never let him live it down!

Back