First Time Baby Backs - Great Taste, Less Tenderness

JBorders

I did my first batch of Baby Back ribs today, and while they tasted better than any rib I've ever had, they could have been more tender. After doing some research on this Forum I decided to do a slightly modified 3-2-1 Method. Here's what I did:

1. Rubbed ribs with McCormick's "Memphis Pit BBQ Rub". Comes in a foil envelope, was convenient to spread, and had a nice taste

2. Lit fire using the Standard method as described on this site. Closed the bottom vents, and kept the top opened 100%. After 30 minutes had to open bottom vents up 25% to get temp in the 225-250 range.

3. Cooked for a little over 2 hours using a Weber rib rack

4. Took ribs off smoker and wrapped them in foil and added a liquid consisting of Apple Juice, Apple Jelly, Honey, Brown Sugar, and some spice rub.

5. Back on smoker for 45 minutes.

6. Removed foil slathered with Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce, and back on smoker for 30 minutes.

7. Removed from smoker, and let rest for 10 minutes.

Like I mentioned the taste was fantastic, but you had to tug a little bit to get the meat off the bone. Once off the bone the meat was pretty easy chewing. Any ideas?

Thanks,
James

Pics:

I do ribs in a similar fashion. I always check for tenderness before removing from the foil. You just needed to leave them in the foil another fifteen minutes to thirty minutes to have it more tender.

You are VERY close to YOUR perfection. Keep on trying - the next time will be a winner!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Just cook them longer. A rule of thumb for BB's is 221. Two hours in smoke, two hours in foil. one last hour on the smoker.

Slightly underdone IMO. I'd go for 3 1/2hr to 4hr (closer to 4) with no foil next time. No peeking till 3 1/2 hr point at earliest.

Keep in mind, any times are purely approximate. Thin ones may take less, thicker ones more. They're done when they're done, the clock be dam?ed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I kind of figured they needed a little more time, but I let myself get a little psyched out after reading other posts on baby backs and people complaining that their ribs turned out too soft after cooking. I'll hone in on it for sure this summer. Just another excuse to smoke meat (got to love it :cool: ).

I agree more time. I have done two runs at ribs.. The second one I had on the WSM for 4.5 hrs, the first around 3. There was a whole lotta difference. I like dry rub ribs, without foil, but the wife and kids like them very tender. I tend to agree they need more time in the foil but too long and they will be not easy to work with.

Just adjust the time up in the foil (and on the WSM) say by an hour and give her a go..........

chris

James all of the above a little more time, some people like that bite off the bone, all in all they look pretty tasty

My foolproof method is 3 hours in smoke at 225-250°, wrap for 45 minutes with squeeze butter (if I can find it), brown sugar, honey and apple juice. Unfoil, put 'em back on and open the vents. Once it hits 275 on the grate I paint on the sauce then pull 'em off once the racks look like they're about to break apart if I pick them up in the middle. Works for any loin back ribs in the 2.5-3# range, which is typical for a 3-pack at Costco.

Like I mentioned the taste was fantastic, but you had to tug a little bit to get the meat off the bone. Once off the bone the meat was pretty easy chewing. Any ideas?

Sounds like you're really close to what you're looking for. Many here don't like Fall Off The Bone (FOTB) ribs, and prefer a little chew or tug..... Me, I'm not too picky! I prefer slightly overdone to underdone though. I watched a friend get served underdone spares when he ordered babybacks (@ Pat's BBQ, SLC UT).... after I laughed and snorted, he gave me one which I wish I didn't eat.

Last edited:

Back