First smoke on the WSM

ChrisDrake

Just wanted to share my first smoke with you all. I came from an ECB and I can say that this thing was a 1,000,000x improvement. I could never get the ECB over certain temps and when I did get it to smoker temps it was hard to maintain. Basically I had to wait until summer to smoke with the ECB. I did this smoke on a 40 degree day with wind gusts up to 20 mph at times. It held the temp like a pro! OMG I wanted to hug it, but the coals were still burning and that would of hurt. :D There are some questions at the bottom if you all don't mind asking.

Enjoy some pics!

Getting the charcoal ready
IMG_3091_zpsb4fe87c0.jpg

Getting it up to operating temp:
IMG_3092_zps0c4bd39c.jpg

That didn't take long at all!
IMG_3093_zpsdc29d47e.jpg

I did some ribs and chicken... here is the finished product

IMG_3094_zps3772ad4c.jpg

IMG_3095_zps546d847e.jpg

IMG_3096_zps28fa36ae.jpg

IMG_3097_zps41e5d9ce.jpg

IMG_3098_zps468e4fa4.jpg

IMG_3099_zps717cef84.jpg

Tasted great!

Question:

I used a 13lb bag of OG Kingsford and also filled the water pan. I have a 22.5" WSM. The temp never did get above 275 and settled in around 235. The vents were open full on all sides and on top.

My concern was that the temp never got above 275. I am thinking it had to do with the fact that it was 40F outside, slightly windy, I had water in the pan, and I only used a 13lb bag of charcoal. Would this be safe to assume?

The temp settled in real good and never had a problem getting back up after removing and replacing the lid, something my ECB sucked at. I just want to make sure I have the right thinking in why the temp did what it did. I have read the mods forum, and the non-water peoples opinions, and I might go that route next time. The only reason I did water this time is because I heard that for the first few times it's best to have water in it to control the temp easier.

Love this forum and look forward to some more Q-view

Question:

I used a 13lb bag of OG Kingsford and also filled the water pan. I have a 22.5" WSM. The temp never did get above 275 and settled in around 235. The vents were open full on all sides and on top.

My concern was that the temp never got above 275. I am thinking it had to do with the fact that it was 40F outside, slightly windy, I had water in the pan, and I only used a 13lb bag of charcoal. Would this be safe to assume?

The temp settled in real good and never had a problem getting back up after removing and replacing the lid, something my ECB sucked at. I just want to make sure I have the right thinking in why the temp did what it did. I have read the mods forum, and the non-water peoples opinions, and I might go that route next time. The only reason I did water this time is because I heard that for the first few times it's best to have water in it to control the temp easier.

You probably didn't get over 275* because of the water. The 40* ambient air temp probably didn't make as much difference. Water helps control the heat with vents open further than without water. Water was also the same reason you burned a lot of fuel. With the vents open so mcuh to maintain heat (and to heat the water), you burned a lot of charcoal.

I recommend higher temps for poultry for cripser skin so you may want to go no-water for chicken at least. Others use no-water exclusely. I have done my last few cooks no water as well and the vents are closed down A LOT more to maintain slow cooking. Which also burns less fuel.

Oh man oh man !!!!!!!!!! Looking great !!!!!!!!!!!!! =)
Welcome aboard Chris and thank you so sharing. If you like to cook at hight temp then the water is not the best thing. If you like to cook
low and slow ( like I do ) then water in pan is great. I use digital temp. controler and its working GREAT for me.
Just keep cooking, looks like you are doing super good.
Peter

Great looking ribs and chicken. You may well have been smoking at 275 even though the lid thermometer showed much lower. I find that the lid thermometer is useless and I depend on a probe clipped to the grate. I use water for some of my cooks and find that the lid can be at 240 and the probe reads 275. I have no problem holding 275 using water in the pan. I've used an oven thermometer to verify the temp and it agrees with my probe. As a newbie I obsessed over the temperature and finally decided to go with what works for me.

I'm not concerned with charcoal comsumption since I stock up on Kingsford when it's on sale at Home Depot several times a year. I usually use two lit chimneys to do a four hour rib cook at 275. There's always a little left over for the next time.

Chris, all good posts here and I'll offer one more: anytime you do a multi-meat cook, be careful of cross-contamination and especially with poultry. Therefore, most folks on here would suggest always put the chicken and poultry on the bottom grate to avoid bloody chicken juices falling on top of your ribs. It may not be much of a risk due to the heat, but its probably best to be on the safe side.

As per temperature, stick a turkey fryer therm through the top vent holes. You'll notice the difference in temperature between the lid therm and "near grate" temp. Mine's always about 10-20 degrees hotter on the grate. Keep that in mind as well for future cooks. The lid therm isn't totally useless, you just have to use it as a reference point to the grate temps.

She's broke in and ready for many more cooks.....................looks great..............................d

Chris, all good posts here and I'll offer one more: anytime you do a multi-meat cook, be careful of cross-contamination and especially with poultry. Therefore, most folks on here would suggest always put the chicken and poultry on the bottom grate to avoid bloody chicken juices falling on top of your ribs. It may not be much of a risk due to the heat, but its probably best to be on the safe side.

As per temperature, stick a turkey fryer therm through the top vent holes. You'll notice the difference in temperature between the lid therm and "near grate" temp. Mine's always about 10-20 degrees hotter on the grate. Keep that in mind as well for future cooks. The lid therm isn't totally useless, you just have to use it as a reference point to the grate temps.

Chicken was on the bottom for reasons stated ^. :D

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. Next up will be a butt. I love pulled pork and have spent many restless days/nights on the ECB. I really am excited and glad I did my homework on the WSM. This thing rocks!

Back