First smoke: BRITU

Scott Terril

TVWBB Member
I got a WSM for Christmas and of course the weather has been terrible. I finally couldn't take it any longer and spent an hour chipping ice off my driveway on Sunday and did a slab of baby backs using the BRITU recipe.

They came out great! I made the mistake of sharing them with friends and neighbors and will be doing three slabs this weekend.

I used Bilardo Brother's Meat rub, apple and hickory wood, and left them naked. (my son likes his sauce on the side)

What a fantastic smoker and recipe!

Scott

Hey Scott
Congratulations on your first smoke.

The problem with sharing with neighbors is that now they will be at your door when ever they smell smoke.

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Terril:
I used Bilardo Brother's Meat rub, apple and hickory wood, and left them naked. (my son likes his sauce on the side)

What a fantastic smoker and recipe!

Scott </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a good cooking method, I've done two cooks, 3 racks a piece with it and they came out excellent. Give the BRITU rub and oak/cherry combo a try sometime, you will want to sauce them cause it's a little salt heavy and the honey/BBQ sauce combo offsets that.

Thanks Guys!

I foiled the top grate last weekend, but I think I'll leave the foil off this weekend.

Since I am doing three racks, I'm also going to try rolling them like Chris did in the recipe.

Matt, I really want to try the oak/cherry wood combination. I just haven't gotten around to buying them yet. Hickory and apple are what I have on hand. I go very light on the hickory though.

I'd leave the foil off too, I would think that would block the flow of air and smoke around the food and out through the top vent some.

That's kind of what I was thinking about the foil too.

Have you guys considered trying the double water pan? I have an old Brinkman and might try it. I've already added a thermometer to the lid and pop-riveted a hinge on the door and to the body of the smoker.

Hey Scott.. good to see another Kansan enjoying the WSM. I've been getting the itch to smoke something, my last smoke was 2 weeks before the superbowl. Enjoy

Hey Mark! I actually work in Topeka. I picked up some cherry wood just East of town on 40 HWY last Friday. I used it for yesterday's smoke. I did four racks of back ribs and a couple of pounds of Italian sausage. Everything came out great. It was a little cold firing everything up at 5:00AM though.

Scott

Back