First shot at a Genesis rehab

Brian O’Donnell

TVWBB Member
This is my first post on this forum. Earlier this summer I found this Genesis at the curb with a "Free" sign on it. Dragged it home and it was a mess. Looked like it had never been cleaned and was left out in the weather without a cover for it's entire life. I didn't think to take before picts, because I didn't think I was going to have as much fun rehabbing it as I did.

Being a first timer, I'm pretty proud of my results. Also, I gave it to my son, who is at Western Michigan University, so it's going to be taken care of by 5 college aged guys - :unsure::oops:. Oh well, it was alot of fun. So much so, that I'm heading out to look at a Genesis 3 burner. Guys asking $80 and says it works great, just needs some love. This one will stay home with me, so it's going to get a lot more attention to detail.

Can any of you tell me how I can get those stains off the stainless steel doors? I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked.

Thanks,

Brian

tempImagetDiEAp.jpg21F35A43-E9DB-423E-8BA4-906B4344D246.jpeg

This is my first post on this forum. Earlier this summer I found this Genesis at the curb with a "Free" sign on it. Dragged it home and it was a mess. Looked like it had never been cleaned and was left out in the weather without a cover for it's entire life. I didn't think to take before picts, because I didn't think I was going to have as much fun rehabbing it as I did.

Being a first timer, I'm pretty proud of my results. Also, I gave it to my son, who is at Western Michigan University, so it's going to be taken care of by 5 college aged guys - :unsure::oops:. Oh well, it was alot of fun. So much so, that I'm heading out to look at a Genesis 3 burner. Guys asking $80 and says it works great, just needs some love. This one will stay home with me, so it's going to get a lot more attention to detail.

Can any of you tell me how I can get those stains off the stainless steel doors? I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked.

Thanks,

Brian

View attachment 16101View attachment 16102
Hi I use a product "Bar Keeper's Friend" and fine steel wool on stainless. Makes it shiny and helps with the stains.

Nice Grill! What does it look like inside?
I got it very clean. Didn't sandblast it or anything. Put in new burner tubes and flavorizer bars. The thing cooks like a dream. I usually cook on a Kamado Joe, but when I rehabbed this, my wife fell in love with it for weeknight grilling. I was disappointed that I agreed to give it to my son. BUT - I'm about to post photos of the Genesis Silver C I just picked up for $80.

My solution to those Genesis Silver A/B/C's with the stainless doors is to toss the doors. It is nearly impossible to find one where the bottom of the cabinet isn't rusted out any way. In fact, I try to stay away from those grills for rehab purposes.

So I just got home with a new project. Just picked up a Genesis Silver C for $80.00. Even had the Owner's Guide dated 10/03/04. This thing is solid. Not a spot of rust on it anywhere, unlike the one I posted earlier. It's just filthy. It looks like they dipped it in a vat of dirty grease and then let it sit in the weather. But, I hooked up the tank and the first burner lit right up. I couldn't get the cross burner or the 2nd and 3rd burners to light, but they look like they are in good shape. I honestly think the only things I'm going to have to replace are the flavorizer bars, the ignition system, maybe the grates (we'll see how they clean up), and they end plastic tool holder - for whatever reason, the previous owner drilled a bunch of weird holes through it.IMG_3300.jpegIMG_3302.jpegIMG_3303.jpegIMG_3305.jpeg

My solution to those Genesis Silver A/B/C's with the stainless doors is to toss the doors. It is nearly impossible to find one where the bottom of the cabinet isn't rusted out any way. In fact, I try to stay away from those grills for rehab purposes.
These are my first two rehabs. The first one had a little rust on the bottom of the cabinet and I was able to clean it right up. This one doesn't appear to have any rust at all. Maybe I got lucky? What do you do? Do you replace the rusted out bottom with the wooden slats? I'd like to see how you do that and how it looks.

This one will be kept in a dry garage when not in use, so rust shouldn't be a problem.

No, for my rehabs, I take the cabinet off completely and replace the bottom with two cross members and a wire rack from another grill.

Also, I trust you still have the thermoset table and just removed it for the drive home.

So now you have the late Genesis Silver A & B! Great finds in that overall condition.

I would throw my two cents in that Bar Keeper’s Friend has worked well for me, at least. However, I would suggest gently using a non-metal scrubby pad rather than steel wool to avoid the potential of leaving behind metal flakes that will rust and put you back where you were.

It is great that your cabinetry and especially bottoms are in such good shape. Bruce is right that from a rehab and flip perspective, these are harder grills to redo because of the cost of replacement of rusted parts. However, if kept nice and dry like you said, I do think the enclosed cabinetry and doors gives these grills more “substance” and style.

If you want to go to open cart, you will have to replace the bottom(s) with two horizontal frame bars. You can easily obtain raw tube steel or better yet stainless to do this. Then you can put on top any material you want including slat trays like on the older Genesis grills.

The Silver B is just as good a find as the first one. Who knows maybe you will prefer the 3 burner over the 2 burner grill.

Although I myself really enjoy my Silver A 2 burner grill.

Last edited:
These are my first two rehabs. The first one had a little rust on the bottom of the cabinet and I was able to clean it right up. This one doesn't appear to have any rust at all. Maybe I got lucky? What do you do? Do you replace the rusted out bottom with the wooden slats? I'd like to see how you do that and how it looks.

This one will be kept in a dry garage when not in use, so rust shouldn't be a problem.
Nice - I like the enclosed cabinet, I think they look and sell better, and it keeps the dog away from the grease pan;-)

I do not have a dog so maybe that is why I prefer the ones without the enclosure. Everyone that is enclosed seems to attract more rust frequently.

Back