First restoration, i'm a sucker for punishment so I'll do two at once. Gen 1000 & 2000

Been bit by the Weber bug. Worst part is a barely know how to BBQ but I'm looking forward to learning. This all started with a free Broil King I picked up in my neighbourhood as my wife was tired of bending over to BBQ on our potable Nexgrill. I stripped it down and then started researching online how to refurb it. I came across this forum, poured over some threads and then as luck would have it, I came across a Genesis 1000 on FB marketplace for $75 CAD.

The guts were rotten, but based on some of the restore threads I saw here, I had confidence to move forward. The next day, the green head showed up in the community next door for $60, couldnt turn it down! I figured if I'm going to go through all the trouble of one, I'll do a second one at the same time and try to flip it to cover the cost of the first one that I will keep. Neither are missing any parts! Got the bottom shelves for the 2000 and the wire rack for the 1000, plus the cosmetic faceplates for both too.

The 1000 is Nat Gas and the 2000 is LP. Ill be swapping the manifolds so that the larger frame has Nat Gas as its the one I want to keep as it has the extra shelves. Not sure which hood Ill keep. I think they both look really nice!

Black Head 1000, LP
CpIG823.jpg

Green Head 2000?, Nat Gas
vAJGDuD.jpg

Inside the 1000
hVp1xJm.jpg

Both fire boxes off
8pxb0PG.jpg

Frames stripped
B1SYLgf.jpg

Frames sanded and rust treated. Only minor surface rust here and there. Treated with Ospho.
uuNNx0Z.jpg

LP manifold dirty
IgAqooj.jpg

All cleaned up and re painted
7Z6mQuz.jpg

Internals cleaned and greased
TA0nsOW.jpg

Trying to reuse all original hardware where possible. Old dirty hardware
6Fy9H3c.jpg

Cleaned up with metal bristles brushes on my rotary tool
QWAu05V.jpg

Bolts cleaned and ready for paint
c6Jw07B.jpg

Painted. Frame bolts are a gloss enamel. Lip bolts are a satin black
SfqiVg1.jpg
What did you use to get the gas valves polished up?

Last edited:
Holy cow, what a beautiful restore!
I'm super interested to hear how you got that manifold so nice! Did you hand-sand that or something?
Also, those grey plastic knobs - how did you get those so nice?

Holy cow, what a beautiful restore!
I'm super interested to hear how you got that manifold so nice! Did you hand-sand that or something?
Also, those grey plastic knobs - how did you get those so nice?
The manifolds were both sanded and then a few heavy coats of paint. I used my dremel with a few small wire brushes to clean up the brass valves.

One set of knobs came out great and another only so so. I’m leaning towards dying them.

Update:

First, I want to try to paint the kettle on the emblem red with testors. Any tips? Certain type of paint brush? Should I thin it out?

Second, why am I getting inconsistent lighting on my middle tube? I hooked it up today for a trial light and the outer tubs run fully just fine, but the middle tube does not want to fully light. What should I do to trouble shoot?

HwYv6YE.jpg

Got two coats of boiled linseed oil on my the genesis 1000 slats and handle. Love how it turned out.

818JE2I.jpg

Installed the new tank scale. If anyone is looking for the old style, it isnt rusted at all. I just didnt want to deal with the hassle of making a new scale sticker for the frame.

vOalvEV.jpg

Yah, I would pull that tube out and give a look inside of it and make sure nothing is blocking flow on the inside or plugging up the holes where it isn't lit.

2 questions!

1: Tips on using testors red paint for the emblem kettle?

2: Tips for fixing this chip in the porcelain enamel control board?

424AqaB.jpg

The chip is a sign of character. I don't think I have ever seen one of those panels without one. Some heavy black enamel could work though

Yah, your easiest option is to clean it up as best you can and use some glass black paint on it.
Then, you could also look for a donor grill to grab one off of.

As minor as that chip is, I think with a carefully applied touch-up you will be good to go. Only you will notice it after that!

Just degrease it well with a clean solvent (not soap). Lacquer thinner, brake parts cleaner spray, carb cleaner, what have you. Don't use mineral spirits as that's just kerosene that knows someone and leaves an oily film. Than simply use a high quality enamel that's high gloss and relatively thick. Dab it is with a small brush

about the burner I bought some assorted dental picks on eBay.
.. on my refabs i clean every hole takes a wile but works great be careful not to break pick in burner just a note

On your Weber emblem, you can use high heat paint sprayed into a cup and applied with a brush, but I have gotten fine results and better color using Testor’s red out of the little bottles.

On your Weber emblem, you can use high heat paint sprayed into a cup and applied with a brush, but I have gotten fine results and better color using Testor’s red out of the little bottles.
I bought a bottle of testors. Did you thin it before application? Or just brush it on straight out of the bottle?

Back