First restoration, i'm a sucker for punishment so I'll do two at once. Gen 1000 & 2000

Looking good, real good, but I would consider the thick SS grates as my go to grates if they are solid rod SS, and the stamped steel ones as the backups. If you clean up the SS ones, you will likely find they are like new.
Tips for getting a perfect clean? They are a charcoal greasy crusted mess

Find a tupperware style container that is just big enough for them to lay flat in the bottom. Lay them in there and pour in a bottle of grill cleaner, close the lid and come back in day or two. Maybe flip them over and let them soak another day. Use some household style steel wool to clean the goo off them and you are usually set. If not, the wire wheel or usually just a wire brush will take care of anything else. Don't worry about getting them silvery shiny, just get the gunk off. The rest is just staining.

Sams club grill cleaner works great at $9 for a 3 bottle package.

Brennon, that one looks great. I think the black knobs and igniter would look good, but the grey is also totally fine. Have you tried soaking them in a 50% bleach/water solution as recommended by Bruce? Then you should coat and polish well with a something such as 303 Protectant.

Even 100% bleach if they are really bad. Soak them overnight. Then clean up with a 3M green scrubby or some #0000 steel wool. Works 90% of the time. You can always dye them later on if you like.

I'll tell you right off the bat that I'd pay $350 and pick up the grill this afternoon if you were anywhere near Greenville, SC. That goes for the others on this forum as well as I don't have the skills that you do to complete these types of restorations. My father in law has a RedHead at their place in Deland that my Dad restored and I've already claimed. But, if I had a crack at a Genesis 1000, 2000 like these, I'd come running with $$$$ in hand.

I'll tell you right off the bat that I'd pay $350 and pick up the grill this afternoon if you were anywhere near Greenville, SC. That goes for the others on this forum as well as I don't have the skills that you do to complete these types of restorations. My father in law has a RedHead at their place in Deland that my Dad restored and I've already claimed. But, if I had a crack at a Genesis 1000, 2000 like these, I'd come running with $$$$ in hand.
Those are kind words!! Yea Im leaning towards selling the 1000 with the black hood. I think it is the most marketable. Fingers crossed I can sell it for $400-500 CAD this spring. It has a $350 investment. Im just hoping to cover the cost of materials for both grills, and come out with the Green one at no cost other than time.

I too would like to know what you used on the gray plastic knobs and ignitor to clean those up without harming the plastic. Also, are the Z-Brackets for the wood slates on the bottom still available? Great Job!

I use bleach or dilluted bleach on my knobs. I fill a cup and drop them in. Let them sit for several hours or over night. Then grab a green scrubbie or #0000 steel wool and 90% of the time they will clean up like new.

Thanks Bruce. What about those brackets that hold the wood slat's on the bottom. Those need to be replaced as two slats fell from rusting through. How would you tackle those? Thx!!

I would find another grill to scrounge them from or one alternative I know if is Dave Santana (RCPlanebuyer). He makes them out of stainless steel and does a great job on them.

You can contact him through one of his Craigslist adds. Just tell him what you are looking for and he will give you a quote to include shipping.

Yeah, I bought grates from RC in the past. I know he did grates and flavorizer bars, but not these supports. Thanks for the tip!

You bet. GOod luck. They will be stainless steel but unpainted. Some like them nice and shiny, some paint them. Either way, no problem with rust any longer.

Updates: Black Genesis 1000 sold for $500 CAD! wooooo

Really enjoying cooking on the green 2000. Its seen chicken breast, burgers, salt brined tenderloin roasts, cedar plank salmon and impossible burgers. I have some really heavy duty stainless steel grates in there but I still find everything is sticking alot. Tips?

In its final resting spot :) You can see my crappy nexgrill portable that I was cooking on before... still gotta pack it up.

nxFIcEV.jpg

Back