First restoration, i'm a sucker for punishment so I'll do two at once. Gen 1000 & 2000

Brennon K

Been bit by the Weber bug. Worst part is a barely know how to BBQ but I'm looking forward to learning. This all started with a free Broil King I picked up in my neighbourhood as my wife was tired of bending over to BBQ on our potable Nexgrill. I stripped it down and then started researching online how to refurb it. I came across this forum, poured over some threads and then as luck would have it, I came across a Genesis 1000 on FB marketplace for $75 CAD.

The guts were rotten, but based on some of the restore threads I saw here, I had confidence to move forward. The next day, the green head showed up in the community next door for $60, couldnt turn it down! I figured if I'm going to go through all the trouble of one, I'll do a second one at the same time and try to flip it to cover the cost of the first one that I will keep. Neither are missing any parts! Got the bottom shelves for the 2000 and the wire rack for the 1000, plus the cosmetic faceplates for both too.

The 1000 is Nat Gas and the 2000 is LP. Ill be swapping the manifolds so that the larger frame has Nat Gas as its the one I want to keep as it has the extra shelves. Not sure which hood Ill keep. I think they both look really nice!

Black Head 1000, LP
CpIG823.jpg

Green Head 2000?, Nat Gas
vAJGDuD.jpg

Inside the 1000
hVp1xJm.jpg

Both fire boxes off
8pxb0PG.jpg

Frames stripped
B1SYLgf.jpg

Frames sanded and rust treated. Only minor surface rust here and there. Treated with Ospho.
uuNNx0Z.jpg

LP manifold dirty
IgAqooj.jpg

All cleaned up and re painted
7Z6mQuz.jpg

Internals cleaned and greased
TA0nsOW.jpg

Trying to reuse all original hardware where possible. Old dirty hardware
6Fy9H3c.jpg

Cleaned up with metal bristles brushes on my rotary tool
QWAu05V.jpg

Bolts cleaned and ready for paint
c6Jw07B.jpg

Painted. Frame bolts are a gloss enamel. Lip bolts are a satin black
SfqiVg1.jpg

Scraping the black lid took the longest
jD3mKmm.jpg

Both grease trays and catch pans are original porcelain steel. No rust!
MjelcUY.jpg

Dirty knobs
xatHYau.jpg

Clean knobs. Still debating whether I should dye them black wit rit dye as the plastic is a bit stained
62vDSzh.jpg

Fire box ready for paint
fpxi9J2.jpg

Nice rich flat black. I tried 4 different brands of flat black high heat paint and hated all of them. Didnt like the rustoleum high heat paint of the engine enamels we have available here in Canada. I ended up using a brand called Imperial. $20/can!!!!!
cw6Ebxv.jpg

Ended up deciding I could save the burner tubes. Sanded all the surface rust off and then polished them with a buffing wheel. Came out great!
mvPhpOL.jpg

Wood handles are in ok condition. They are now sanded and ready for stain.
KoERq9Y.jpg

Hate how the lid caps came out with the first rustoleum bbq paint. Looked grey.
wjZXJhw.jpg

Re did them with this (again stupid expensive)
h4R8HTP.jpg

Better!
C4lBFpy.jpg

Thats it for now. Not supper happy with how my frame paint is turning out. Using tremclad enamel. Any recommendations would be welcome but I can see any fine sanding line. It does not look smooth at all.

Gotta sand/paint the z brackets for the shelves, sand and paint the metal faceplates, repaint the LP bottle glide, clean the control boards, cut/sand/stain the cedar, and im waiting for new caster wheels and a new propane tank gauge to arrive.

Wow, you are diving right in! Everyone here, including me, loves "redheads," but there is a special place in my heart for brunettes! I actually am not positive from your photo if the one isn't dark green. If so, that is another nice color.

I like what you are doing very much. I think the restorers on this board would probably vote for replacing the actual bolts and nuts with stainless steel, especially the one that connects the firebox to the frame. Still, they lasted this long and you have painted them, so I doubt you will have any big problems - except maybe that firebox bolt - for a long, long time. You definitely got lucky in getting two "classic" Genesis grills with minimal rust and important stuff all intact.

Glad you can save those burner that look original, 304 stainless. (You can test with a magnet.) The flavorizer are shot, but go with Dave Santana/"rcplanebuyer" if you want top drawer high quality stainless replacements. This is one item that the the import aftermarket hasn't done much to fill at a bargain level price. Hopefully, Bruce will chime in as he has been following that a little more closely lately.

Your high-price Stove Bright is at least really good paint. The parts look really nice to me. On the frames, I would say that most use gloss high-heat black on the top where it touches the firebox and Rustoleum 2X gloss black on the rest. I don't know if your paint is too thin or you needed to do more fine sanding where the streaks are showing through.

Stick to it. We all look forward to seeing them come together!

I like what you are doing very much. I think the restorers on this board would probably vote for replacing the actual bolts and nuts with stainless steel, especially the one that connects the firebox to the frame. Still, they lasted this long and you have painted them, so I doubt you will have any big problems - except maybe that firebox bolt - for a long, long time. You definitely got lucky in getting two "classic" Genesis grills with minimal rust and important stuff all intact.

Glad you can save those burner that look original, 304 stainless. (You can test with a magnet.) The flavorizer are shot, but go with Dave Santana/"rcplanebuyer" if you want top drawer high quality stainless replacements. This is one item that the the import aftermarket hasn't done much to fill at a bargain level price. Hopefully, Bruce will chime in as he has been following that a little more closely lately.

Forgot to mention, the fire box bolts are brand new stainless steel :), those were the only corroded bolts.

XJHMP1I.jpg

As for flavourizers, RC planebuyer is too baller for me up here in Canada. One set is toast, however, the ones that came out of the 2000 are still fine with minor surface rust. Ill be keeping those ones. I picked up a cheap pair on amazon for the one ill flip.

23iAqDC.jpg

NXgtFG9.jpg

For the grates, one set of porcelain steel ones from the 2000 are fine (still a bit dirty and needing a final cleaning), just the odd little rusted chip here and there and ill leave those to the BBQ that will be sold. I found these Grill Care rod grates for $100. Looking forward to trying them out.

IviSsve.jpg

kuMS2v2.jpg

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what made you choose the satin black paint over flat black?

(looks really nice btw!)

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what made you choose the satin black paint over flat black?

(looks really nice btw!)

Couldnt find a flat black that was actually black. Anything at available at homedepot was coming out light charcoal grey.

Updates: Just havnt had time to really work on them lately, however this weekend I made progress. Got all the cedar cut, now I have to sand it. Still not sure which hood Im going to keep. I really like both.

Cant find any aftermarket manifold brackets...

Emblems

YzepLlL.jpg

Some assembly is done as well

5CtQ8xM.jpg

lstnDqa.jpg

Any ideas on where to track down more of these? Only have one of each and Im missing one of each. They hold the little black black plate on the 1000, as well as the control panel to the frame.

e1T4yVW.jpg

Brennon,
The square control panel plugs are a Weber only item as I have yet to source anything else that works. Luckily they are cheap.
Check ereplacementparts.com part #668.
The other 2 push fasteners are availble in any Auto parts store.

Jeff

Brennon,
The square control panel plugs are a Weber only item as I have yet to source anything else that works. Luckily they are cheap.
Check ereplacementparts.com part #668.
The other 2 push fasteners are availble in any Auto parts store.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff

Updates: Just havnt had time to really work on them lately, however this weekend I made progress. Got all the cedar cut, now I have to sand it. Still not sure which hood Im going to keep. I really like both.

Cant find any aftermarket manifold brackets...
What do you mean exactly by "Manifold brackets"?

Back