First rack of ribs

Steve P. (Timmee)

TVWBB Member
Well, I put my Weber OTG to work for the first time (I'm a barbecuing newbie), and did a rack of baby back ribs. I ended up cooking them at a hotter temperature than I planned, but I thought they turned out great. Here are some pics I snapped towards the end of the process (I forgot to grab my camera until the ribs were almost done).

Foiled, with the temp probe in:
1002685k.jpg

Just off the grill:
1002686g.jpg

On the plate, with Cheddar Garlic biscuits and cheesy rice and broccoli:
1002687t.jpg

So, how'd I do? Any suggestions for next time?

Those look darn good!!
I used to use my OTG for lots of indirect cooking.
Try closing your bottom vents a bit and keep your lid vent wide open.
Use less charcoal to keep the heat down. Once those kettles get hot it is hard to get the temp down...start off with a lower temp and it will be easier to keep it that way.
Nice job on those ribs!!

Originally posted by ScottE:
Those look darn good!!
I used to use my OTG for lots of indirect cooking.
Try closing your bottom vents a bit and keep your lid vent wide open.
Use less charcoal to keep the heat down. Once those kettles get hot it is hard to get the temp down...start off with a lower temp and it will be easier to keep it that way.
Nice job on those ribs!!

Ah, I wondered if I had too much charcoal in there (I filled the space behind the firebricks almost to the top of the grate). Next time (which will hopefully be very soon
icon_smile.gif
), I'll give that a try.

Great looking results. Your biscuits also caught my attention. How about sharing your recipe, they look like something I would love ft try.

Mike

Originally posted by Mike Freel:
Great looking results. Your biscuits also caught my attention. How about sharing your recipe, they look like something I would love ft try.

Mike

Well, I can't really take credit for those, they're from a Bisquick mix.

510S2419D2L.jpg

Steve, it might be the angle of the picture, but I can't see much pull-back from here so do you think they could've been more tender?
Also, they look like they needed to smoke a little more before wrapping in foil. Try a couple of pecan or oak chunks if your chips don't smoke long enough.

While I prefer 250* for spares, loinbacks don't have near as much fat to render so I'll cook 'em 275-300*, not foiling until I see the first sign of pull-back. Better bark and texture that way IMHO. Once foiled a while I'll use a toothpick when checking for tenderness, looking for no resistance when I poke 'em.

Sorry, got interrupted. Meant to also say that they look great for a "first rack of ribs", and kudos to you for your efforts. You're obviously a "detail guy", and I hope your other half doesn't mistake that for being anal.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Proof is in how they were eaten, and that's all that matters. Hope one or two of my tips above help, and welcome to the addiction.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Steve, I can't see much pull-back from here so don't you think they could've been more tender?
Also, they look like they needed to smoke a little more before wrapping in foil. Try a couple of pecan or oak chunks if your chips don't smoke long enough.

While I prefer 250* for spares, loinbacks don't have near as much fat to render so I'll cook 'em 275-300*, not foiling until I see the first sign of pull-back. Better bark and texture that way IMHO. Once foiled a while I'll use a toothpick when checking for tenderness, looking for no resistance when I poke 'em.

They weren't bad in regards to tenderness, although it could have been better (it didn't help that I forgot to remove the membrane before I applied the rub). I do hope to pick up some wood chunks to help get some more smoke flavor.

What temp do you pull the ribs at? I pulled my ribs off at 168 degrees, according to my temp probe.

Timmee, first off, don't misunderstand me on the smoke. That's more about what they tasted like rather that what they looked like, but it was an educated guess going by the light color, the use of wood chips, and the fact you foiled. Just want to make sure you don't use TOO much smoke next time, since I'd rather have undersmoked vs. oversmoked ribs. I learned that the HARD way back when I first started smoking.

As to IT* when pulling ribs, I have NO idea since I've never probed 'em for temp. I just consider them done when the toothpick goes in without resistance. I don't bother checking for that until I see some pull-back of the meat so that the bones stick out a bit. If I'm cooking full racks I can also tell they're about done by how they "drape" when I pick up the rack with tongs. Can't really use that technique with my 18.5" wsm though since it only takes half slabs. Still, you learn to get an idea just by looking at them, and for that reason I'd encourage you to try some more rib smokes without foil. Don't let anyone tell you that you've gotta use foil to have good ribs. Not so.

Steve,

That's all good advice from Dave.

I would add that's in darn near impossible to get an accurate temp on ribs, and not really necessary. "They're done when they're done" is a common (but true) cliche in the BBQ world, meaning temp does NOT equal done. For ribs, different people have different ways for checking done. Dave's touch pick method is popular. I like to pick the ribs up with tongs, and if ribs "crack"- meaning the outer layer of meat splits open revealing the inner meat just a bit, it's done.

When I cook indirect on the 22.5 kettle, I usually use lump in a single char basket, set off to one side. I can maintain 225-250 this way pretty easily, which generally ends up with the bottom vent closed, and the top vent about half open.

Keep up the good work!

Back