First Rack of Ribs for 2021

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
The forecast for yesterday 2/27 was pretty good so decided to light up the WSM. I snagged a rack of St. Louis cut spare ribs, and a whole chicken and invited some close friends over for dinner. I ended up having a pretty busy day with prepping ribs, setting up the smoker, doing lawn work, keeping our puppy from digging a hole to China and etc... getting ribs on, foiling, putting chicken on, sipping beers..... basically a pretty great day. Do you think people in China ever worry about their dogs digging a hole to the US? ;)

Here's the meat - first time using Kosmo's Dirty Bird on ribs. I pre-seasoned, slathering with a bit of mustard first, then putting in the fridge for about 90 minutes before putting them on the smoker. I did the same with the chicken except the chicken got the pre seasoning treatment for about 3 hours. LOL, I've got my ribs on an offset sheet pan here... (chicken not shown). I set my 22" WSM with a dry-foiled water pan, and used the Thermoworks Smoke/Billows to keep some lump charcoal and pecan chunks burning at 250.

RIBS.jpg

I foiled the ribs after about 3.5 hours, with a shot of beer in the foil for good measure. And then put the chicken on grill (beer can style) About 1.5 hours later the chicken was done, and I un-foiled the ribs and let them hang out in the smoker for about 30 minutes or so.

PLATE.jpg

Here's my plate. The ribs were really tender, served with a baked potato here and a side of spicy cole slaw. Overall good smoke on the ribs, and I did really like the Kosmo's Eirty Bird rub on the ribs. The chicken (not shown) also received "good reviews" although I need to find a way to get the skin to crisp up. I may try one more time without it, but I will likely try the baking powder method sometime soon.

Looks great, John! Nice use of a better weather day for sure! I suspect dogs in China are kept busy filling in the holes dug by US dogs! :)

What do I know, I have cats.....

R

The forecast for yesterday 2/27 was pretty good so decided to light up the WSM. I snagged a rack of St. Louis cut spare ribs, and a whole chicken and invited some close friends over for dinner. I ended up having a pretty busy day with prepping ribs, setting up the smoker, doing lawn work, keeping our puppy from digging a hole to China and etc... getting ribs on, foiling, putting chicken on, sipping beers..... basically a pretty great day. Do you think people in China ever worry about their dogs digging a hole to the US? ;)

Here's the meat - first time using Kosmo's Dirty Bird on ribs. I pre-seasoned, slathering with a bit of mustard first, then putting in the fridge for about 90 minutes before putting them on the smoker. I did the same with the chicken except the chicken got the pre seasoning treatment for about 3 hours. LOL, I've got my ribs on an offset sheet pan here... (chicken not shown). I set my 22" WSM with a dry-foiled water pan, and used the Thermoworks Smoke/Billows to keep some lump charcoal and pecan chunks burning at 250.

View attachment 23316

I foiled the ribs after about 3.5 hours, with a shot of beer in the foil for good measure. And then put the chicken on grill (beer can style) About 1.5 hours later the chicken was done, and I un-foiled the ribs and let them hang out in the smoker for about 30 minutes or so.

View attachment 23317

Here's my plate. The ribs were really tender, served with a baked potato here and a side of spicy cole slaw. Overall good smoke on the ribs, and I did really like the Kosmo's Eirty Bird rub on the ribs. The chicken (not shown) also received "good reviews" although I need to find a way to get the skin to crisp up. I may try one more time without it, but I will likely try the baking powder method sometime soon.
Everything looks fantastic and delicious. Is that a homemade coleslaw? If so could I get the recipe from you? Thanks!!

I'm not John, Seth, but this Creamy Coleslaw recipe from Smoke & Spice is my go-to.......

1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
1 medium head cabbage, grated
2 to 3 carrots, grated
Serves 6 to 8
In a lidded jar, shake together the half-and-half, sugar, vinegar, mayonnaise, garlic, and salt until well blended. Place the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl, pour the dressing over the vegetables, and toss together. Chill the slaw for at least 1 hour. It keeps well for several days.

Everything looks fantastic and delicious. Is that a homemade coleslaw? If so could I get the recipe from you? Thanks!!
So... it's kind of homemade, but we make it almost everytime we have smoked bbq. My buddy Mike and his wife introduced it to our group of friends and it's always a hit. It's quick and easy which works for me after putting a lot of effort into the meat/smoking.

1 bag of fresh cole slaw mix (14 oz) with cabbage and carrots
Juice from 1 lime
1/4 to 1/2 cup of hellmans mayo (NOT Dukes*) :ROFLMAO:
1 tablespoon or more of Walkers Wood** Jamaican jerk paste (there are a few different kinds, we use hot & spicey)
Chopped walnuts (optional).

This is just sort of a starter recipe to get you going. I've made it enough times I don't use a recipe and sort of go by look and taste. Mix the mayo, lime and walkers wood together in a bowl big enough to fit the cole slaw mix as well. After mixing taste to see if you want more jerk, or more lime juice, you can put another dolop of mayo or a little sugar in there if it's too hot. Once you like the mayo-jerk concoction, then incorporate the wal nuts and cole slaw mix. You can let this sit for a few hours or serve it fresh. I think it's a little better if it sits for a couple of hours. There's a lot of acidity and some salt in the jerk, you can add a little salt if you like but be careful..

*Just seeing if anyone's going to defend the Dukes - to each their own as always. I tried Dukes. If you're used to Helman's it's a non-starter....
** Walkers wood can also be used to "spike" your bbq sauce and give it a little more complexity and heat. I did try it as a chicken marinade and I did not really enjoy it that much. Making fresh jerk seasoning isn't all that hard and definitely worth it. Check out K Kruger's jerk recipe here if interested https://tvwbb.com/threads/jerk-seasoning.82362/

When starting a relationship, differences are the spice, but commonalities are the meat and potatoes: religion, political affiliation, smoker/non-smoker, and Hellmans/Best Foods. Some things are not negotiable.

Great looking plate of food, John!

Last edited:
Dirty Bird is the best, put it on a couple of pork butts Saturday and it worked its magic ........... as Kosmos says " it just wins " .

That plate of ribs and cole slaw makes me hungry.

Dirty Bird is the best, put it on a couple of pork butts Saturday and it worked its magic ........... as Kosmos says " it just wins " .

That plate of ribs and cole slaw makes me hungry.
Agreed - Dirty Bird is a great rub. I still want to try Malcom Reed's Killer Hog "The BBQ Rub"... I'll see if I can grab it before I run out of Dirty Bird so I can do a side by side. It's hard to tell a difference when trying two "good" rubs a few weeks apart.

Agreed - Dirty Bird is a great rub. I still want to try Malcom Reed's Killer Hog "The BBQ Rub"... I'll see if I can grab it before I run out of Dirty Bird so I can do a side by side. It's hard to tell a difference when trying two "good" rubs a few weeks apart.

Can't go wrong with Malcolm's stuff either ............. both him and Kos are top notch

I'm goin Kosmos store tomorrow, gonna stock up on Dirty Bird and SPG, and he also carries Malcolm's Vinegar sauce ........... yum

Back