First Pulled Pork

K. Smith

TVWBB Member
Smoked a pork butt overnight and it came out great. The bark was very dark, but tasted great. I put the meat on at about 10:30 when the temp was about 220degrees. It was 46 degrees outside and there was no wind.

At 6:15 a.m. it was still 46 degrees out with no wind. The smoker, however, was at about 260 and the water pan was basically empty. I added more water then and a few hours later. I didn't have to add any additional coals or wood other than what I started with (minion method starting with 40 lit coals). I did turn and baste with apple juice

I took it off about noon, wrapped it and kept in a cooler until around 2. It was extremely easy to pull with minimual remaining fat and connective tissue. Good smoke ring and wonderful flavor. It was better than the version we've been doing on the Weber grill that we finish in the oven.

I do appreciate all the advice offered on this site as it surely helped make this pork butt a success.

Looks great. Moisten that good lookin' meat with some Eastern Carolina vinegar sauce (NO ketchup) and you're off to the races!

We will DEFINTELY be keeping the smoker! Just sorry we didn't purchase one sooner.

Next project--we smoked bacon today and I just sliced it up. We will taste in the morning.

We bought the 18.5 WSM. I originally wanted the larger one, but there are only two of us and when I saw them both side by side, it didn't make sense to get the larger one. We do, however, have the larger Weber grill.

We ate pulled pork sandwiches for dinner, with a Carolina style sauce that was sort of a mixture of mustard and vinegar based (I agree--NO KETCHUP), then made up seven vacuum packed bags. Five went to my mother as she loves pulled pork and since my dad died in October of 2011 she depends on us to keep her supplied.

I think next weekend will be duck pastrami. Tomorrow will be pizza in the wood fire oven!

Awesome looking stuff man! Please post up a picture of your wood fired oven, one day I'll have one and be able to cook a Neapolitan in 90 seconds like a pro. :cool:

I hate you. So much..... LOLOL!!!! Barrel or dome oven?

Dome style, 36" diameter. Makes great pizza and bagels. Steaks cooked at 1000 degrees are fantastic.

Neither of us does brick work so we hired someone to do it, but we did look at some of the free plans available on the web for a do-it-yourself Pompeii oven.

Dome style, 36" diameter. Makes great pizza and bagels. Steaks cooked at 1000 degrees are fantastic.

Neither of us does brick work so we hired someone to do it, but we did look at some of the free plans available on the web for a do-it-yourself Pompeii oven.

I am jealous to the max right now. 1000 degrees of heat is something I can only dream of and that style oven is my absolute favorite. It is beautiful no doubt, I can only imagine how amazing the leoparding is on the bottom of your pies!

Back