First pork butt

Mike Hartwell

TVWBB Pro
First butt, about 6 lbs, rubbed generously with"Meatheads" rub recipe. I threw in some gound sage and used Penzey's half sharp paprika for a little heat.
Supper was to be at 6:00, so the butt went on at 8:00 am. I used RA lump in a MM start, with a few chunks of pecan and cherry.
It was a windy day, so I hastily used some 2'X4' ceiling panels to make a windbreak, but I still had a hard keeping the temp from moving from 300 to 220, both up and down. At 1:00 the temp couldn't get up to 220, so I started another chimney of lump and couple more small chunks of pecan. Then it was a struggle to get the temps down from 300.
I was using the Maverick double probe therm, by the way.
Anyway, the meat hit 198 at 4:30.
Mr Brown was great, not much fat left. Pulled easily, and TASTED GREAT.
It would seem that no matter what I did, the Bullet did it's job.
I would like to post pics, but I dont't see how.

(EDITThanks Jim...
here are the pics:
DSCF0531.JPG

DSCF0532.JPG

DSCF0533.JPG

Mike, Welcome! You did a great job, the butt looks great. You also learned a lot from that cook regarding temp control and the forgiveness of Butt. With a little practice you will be able to get your temps where you want them and keep them there within 25 degrees or so. Keep up the good smokin!

Mark

Great Job, I do my first one tomorrow. I did read that the smoker will cook a bit hotter and not as consistent until fully seasoned.
Can't wait to get smoking myself!

Back