First pies of the summer!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
We've been super busy this Spring and Summer, so tonight was the first time that I was able to plan for a pizza cook. I used a similar dough to my 50/50 AP and Caputo that I have used in the past, but this time I used my sourdough starter as the leavening agent, and did a 24H bulk then proof (my usual is a same day dough.) Other than that, it was pretty much business as usual.....light the charcoal about 45 minutes before cooking time, get everything good and hot, add a split of oak, 10 minutes later.....pizza time! :)

I was hopping like crazy getting six pies assembled, cooked, sliced and served, so only a few pics of the result. The complete list of pies was:
  • Italian sausage
  • Pepperoni & Mushroom (x2)
  • Sausage & Mushroom
  • Pesto & Shrimp
  • Pesto and (homemade) Capicolla

First Sausage pie sauced, then topped

48156512231_87b06410f9_c.jpg

48156590427_f9c3de8058_c.jpg
[/url]

Pesto & Shrimp (this was my favorite of the night)

48156511891_422a7920bb_c.jpg
[/url]

I had a blast running this cook, and look forward to the next pizza night (with a few tweaks to the process to make it smoother. Have a great weekend!

Rich

Nice job! What is your setup? Kettle Pizza?

Bill, yes, Kettle Pizza. My fire management for pizza is a little rusty, but that didn't stop six pizzas from getting gobbled up! ;)

Let me know if you have any questions on my fire setup! ;)

Rich

Great looking pies Rich. I'll bet you were hopping. I remember one of your pizza cooks last year you did 12. I got a couple of extra peels and usually make up 3 ahead of time to make the cook a little more leisurely. The second and third pizzas are a little more reluctant to release from the peel due to the additional "sitting time", even with cornmeal or semolina. I'm working on that. I'm still using your Caputo/AP dough too.

Great looking pies Rich. I'll bet you were hopping. I remember one of your pizza cooks last year you did 12. I got a couple of extra peels and usually make up 3 ahead of time to make the cook a little more leisurely. The second and third pizzas are a little more reluctant to release from the peel due to the additional "sitting time", even with cornmeal or semolina. I'm working on that. I'm still using your Caputo/AP dough too.

Glad you are still using and enjoying the dough! I need to get another peel or two. With my single metal peel, it was getting warm manipulating the pies while cooking, and then when I went to assemble the next pie, the skin started to cook (you can guess how easy that was to release from the peel!) Other than that, all went well, and we ate pizza! ��

Rich

Looks great! Id have a slice or two of each!

One of my all time favorite pizzas is bay shrimp with black olives, spinach and tomatoes. Pesto or marinara.

Looks great! Id have a slice or two of each!

One of my all time favorite pizzas is bay shrimp with black olives, spinach and tomatoes. Pesto or marinara.

That sounds like a good combo, Case! My shrimp pizza was supposed to have cherry tomatoes on it, but I forgot to pick some up at the farmer's market (and the ones in the store just aren't worth buying.) My neighbor's plants should be producing enough for the neighborhood soon, so I'll get to try again. :)

R

Rich did you get the Kettle Pizza that has the stone, peels, whole deal, or did you get that stuff separately?

Steve, I got the complete package with KP, stone, peel (singular), and top steel. I think that the steel (or a second stone) on top is critical for getting some good top heat on the pie. I tend to cook very hot (750'ish), so need the top heat to make sure that top/bottom are done at the same rate.

HTH,
R

Hey Rich, check out the pizza I just posted on "BEEF" thread. lol!! Sorry, no pictures.

I like it, Joan! Sounds tasty. I do lots of "pizzas" like that.....on tortillas frequently, with random leftovers, sauce and cheese. A tasty way to clear out the fridge! :)

R

I like it, Joan! Sounds tasty. I do lots of "pizzas" like that.....on tortillas frequently, with random leftovers, sauce and cheese. A tasty way to clear out the fridge! :)

R
Thanks Rich. DH has often made breakfast pizzas with tortillas. Your right, it is a good way to clear out the fridge.

Pies look great Rich. I went back to just using my performer with a pizza stone, my kettle pizza is now a garage wall ornament. The KP to me was a pain and I've been making pizzas without it for years before I bought one. Both Barb and I just don't see that much advantage to the KP. Biggest disadvantage to the old way is you lose a ton of heat every time you lift the lid, which I only do once to turn the pie. If I want to use wood I put a couple of pieces of rebar between the lid and the tub to get enough air flow for the wood to burn.

Rich, those were some great looking pizzas. I'd be happy to take a couple of slices of each any time. Rich and I love pizza and like to do up 3 or 4 and then freeze them for later. It's great to be able to pull one out some night you don't want to cook. Simple is always better.

Back