First Packer

Mike Gray

TVWBB Super Fan
First off I would like to say a big thank you to all that posted about your high heat brisket cooks and to all those that helped me with my questions.

I did my first packer this weekend (13.5 Pounds). After a lot of research I had originally decided to do a overnight low and slow cook, but got a bit of cold feet the day before and started looking at high heat cooks. I finally decided on doing high heat and wrapping in a foiled pan at 170 degree. The weather was perfect with very little wind, but my WSM ran pretty hot (375 on the lid and over 400 at the grate at times.). I was able to keep the temp up with no issues and even had to dial it back a couple times. All in all it was a pretty uneventful cook until the end.

The plan was too cook about 5 to 6 hours to give myself plenty of time just in case since we were having guests for dinner. Since things ran a little hot, I the cook finished at just over 4 hours which I thought was a little fast and I was worried that it wasn't quite as tender as it should be. The temp read 199 when I took it off and it was super tender when probing except a little resistance in the flat. Since it finished so early I had to hold it for a few hours. I originally tried to use a cooler with heavy wrap and towels, but the temp was dropping too much so I opted to put it in the oven at keep warm. This worked out perfectly as the temp held at about 165 until time to serve.

For a first attempt I got a lot of great reviews. The flat was very moist, tender, and I felt like I got a pretty good smoke ring. The point was amazing! I wanted to cube the point for burnt ends but in the end I cut some into chunks and sliced a bit as well. I really can't wait to do another one.

Here are a few shots.

Just getting started

Before wrapping in the foil pan.

Finished

Sliced after a long rest and hold

Picture quality wasn't the best, but the final result was better than expected.

Thanks again for all the help and thanks for looking.

Nicely done, I've yet to get a brisket like that, but then I haven't wrapped during the cook. Might have to change my method

Back