First overnight in cool weather

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
6:00 PM and I just got my temp stabalized at 250. I have 2 butts in the WSM 8.5lb on top and 8lb on the bottom. Using the Minion Method with the clay saucer mod. Temp has been in the mod 30's here at night. I normally do not have to check the temp for at least 12 hours. Do you all have any suggestions for this smoke with the temp getting ready to fall in the next 7 hours to reach 35 overnight?

Your temps may drop a little during the night so it might be wise to try to stabilize your cooker about 10 degrees over your target before you call it a night. More than cool temps, the wind is your enemy. If there's not much wind, you should be fine.

If it's not windy, the cold really isn't going to change things that much. I just did an overnight last night and I'm sure it got into the low 30's and the wsm held rock steady at 250º just like it normally does. There was virtually no wind though.

It was a great cook - four butts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
If it's not windy, the cold really isn't going to change things that much. I just did an overnight last night and I'm sure it got into the low 30's and the wsm held rock steady at 250º just like it normally does. There was virtually no wind though.

It was a great cook - four butts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Jerry, I just checked and the temp was 260 after 3 hours. I shut the vents down a bit more. I will keep my eye on it a while longer. I think I am going to be in good shape!

Sorry, Paul no pics. I am going to have to get my camera out of my suitcase. I left it in there from my last vacation. The bark on these butts was incredible. They were by far the best I have ever done! Sad to say, there are all gone. I gave all of it away and saved enough to make Green Pork Chili tomorrow night!

Back