First overnight cook

Jay Nelson

The best value of any similar size smoker, period. I started a cook last night at 9:00pm and set my alarm clock to go off periodically throughout the night, figuring I would have to mess with the fire at some point. Nope... By the time i went to bed at 11:00pm the cooker was dialed in at 230 degrees and it sat at that temperature all night withing +/- 3degrees. In fact at 11:00am it was still maintaining 225 degrees without ever touching the coals. What a great value and tool for the BBQ enthusiast!
This was the set-up:
22.5" WSM
One full bag of Kingsford coals (18.6 lbs) with Hickory and Cherry chunks mixed in
Top vent open 100%
three Bottom vents open the width of a pencil
2) 9lb Boston Butts on the bottom rack
2) 7lb Boston Butts up top
The top rack finished up at 7:30am and the bottom butts finished (194 degree internal temp) around 9:30am

I feel the same way Jay. I've had my 22.5 WSM for 3 weeks now, and have 5 cooks under my belt...including 3 all nighters of a pork shoulder, a butt, and then finally a brisket. After cooking on old school offset stick burners most of my life, I've been amazed at the WSM. I actually even decided to go high-tech all the way, and bought an Auber temp controller. With it, you close all bottom vents, except for the one the Auber fan sticks in. It will dial it in to whatever temp you want and keep it right there, with no worries. When it needs air, it will turn on the fan and blow the coals, when it doesn't it just lets it go. Others on this site told me about it, and the Digi-Q. So, I researched both and got the Auber. It's exactly what I needed to make smoking meat about as simple as it can get. And, to paraphrase someone else on here, "I've been working my *** off for 30 years trying to keep temps dialed in on stick burners...I deserve this WSM and Auber!!"

Here's the vent where I plug in the Auber fan. And, these 3/4" steel hole plugs fit perfectly in the other 3 holes. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...-Hole-Plug-807798/204273771?keyword=204273771 The Auber comes with tape for the unused vent holes, but I didn't like that.

IMG_7377_zpsljpb1qoq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
The wsm is an awesome piece of equipment. I used a new braunfels black diamond for several years, the difference is night and day.

I'm on my third year using my 22.5 wsm, and it still amazes me, especially on long smokes. I could never imagine any smoker being this easy to use

Back