First overnight cook pork butt on WSM

Hi Drew,

A great place to start is utilizing the search feature of this site and searching for pork shoulder / pork butt. You will find A LOT of great information as you wait to hear back from others, and the replies that you will receive will confirm what you have already read. Good luck.

A device that will measure both your grill temp and meat temp such as a maverick will help you sleep....also load that charcoal ring up.

Take good pics and share....

Don't panic if temps spike up as high as 275... Make adjustments and keep smoking. The smoker will settle down.

Good luck you will do fine, first 45 minutes of your fire will determine what you have over night so be spot on it for that time. Do Minion Method to start it, when the temp hits around 180 start shutting her down a little at a time. Have a full well mounded coal basket. Start with about a dozen or so coals of lit in your chimney. Bury your smoke wood chunks under charcoal so it does not ignite and spike your temps.

Last edited:
Pork butt? Throw that beiach on and cook it overnight. Simple as that. Temps around 250 are ideal so stabilize the cooker before you go to bed around that 250 mark. Butts are forgiving. Unless you are cooking for a comp, don't lose any sleep over it, it'll be fine. Oh, and use water in the pan for an overnight cook. Thats what I do. Overnight cooks water is your friend.

Pork butt? Throw that beiach on and cook it overnight. Simple as that. Temps around 250 are ideal so stabilize the cooker before you go to bed around that 250 mark. Butts are forgiving. Unless you are cooking for a comp, don't lose any sleep over it, it'll be fine. Oh, and use water in the pan for an overnight cook. Thats what I do. Overnight cooks water is your friend.
Funny, I always go without water. I hate the clean-up afterward. Totally agree on your temps and that butts are extra forgiving. To each his own though, we've all got what works for us.

The only time wood has caused my temps to spike is when I opened the door up too long or the lid and it got enough oxygen to actually flame up quite a bit. Otherwise it just smolders like it should

Sir - the best thing i learned is DO NOT MUCK ABOUT WITH THE COOKER. Load it up, get it settled in and GO AWAY. Do not open it, do not mess with it, do not poke at it - JUST LET IT AND THE MEAT DO THEIR THING!!!! Cannot get much easier honestly. Pork butt were my first several cooks of choice and they are VERY VERY VERY forgiving honestly. Worry not, get you a good night's sleep. Only cooker I have ever used that i did not have to wake up every hour to poke at.

Sir - the best thing i learned is DO NOT MUCK ABOUT WITH THE COOKER. Load it up, get it settled in and GO AWAY. Do not open it, do not mess with it, do not poke at it - JUST LET IT AND THE MEAT DO THEIR THING!!!!
This man speaks the truth (IMO)

Back