First Lumpwood Smoke in WSM

Don Franco

Hi Everyone,

So after 14 or so years cooking on briquettes in my 18" WSM, I'm looking to switch up to lumpwood, mainly down to lack of quality briquettes being available in my area (Middle East).

Typically fire up for a 6-10 hour cook using minion method. Turkey breast and ribs this time out.

Given the differences in the fuel, I just wanted to reach out to the lump wood pros for any tips please?

Cheers!

Are you referring to lump charcoal? I think it's going to work just as well. You may need to spend more time arranging the the charcoal to pack it in so the coals will light off each other. Good luck!

I have some leftover Rockwood lump I'm using up after my BGE died. Depending on your brand I would expect it to burn a little hotter and be more uneven. With my Rockwood it burns quite a bit hotter than the Kingsford briquettes so vents will need to be adjusted from your normal settings. Plan to give it a little more time to get going and clear the bad smoke out, this depends a lot on brand but I find it gives off more than briquettes. You also might want to break up some of the pieces so they act as filler around the larger pieces to help even the burn some. For the most part it cooks the same though.

Hi Everyone,

So after 14 or so years cooking on briquettes in my 18" WSM, I'm looking to switch up to lumpwood, mainly down to lack of quality briquettes being available in my area (Middle East).

Typically fire up for a 6-10 hour cook using minion method. Turkey breast and ribs this time out.

Given the differences in the fuel, I just wanted to reach out to the lump wood pros for any tips please?

Cheers!
Report back with pictures. I would like to know how the turkey breast comes out and your method of doing it. Good luck

I’ve had great success using RO lump in my 18” wsm for the past 20 years. I also use it in my 22” wsm.

Lump will burn hotter, like others have stated. I like to smoke between 275-300.

I use two charcoal grates when using lump. The second grate rotated 90 degrees to the first.

Back