First large cook

Hey everyone, I've owned a wsm 18 for several years but have never attempted a large cook on it. I've always just cooked for 2 to 4 people and would like to make four boneless butts. They average about 7lbs at Costco. I'm guessing the three additional butts will be a huge heat sink in the beginning. Any tips or differences I should expect increasing the capacity. My plan B is 2 butts and a 12lb or so Briskit. Thanks for the help, Ken

I would not call it a 'huge' heat sink but it is more of one. That said, though it may take a little longer to hit target cooktemp, overall cooking time should not be appreciably affected.

I just cooked ~20lbs of bone in pork butt and it took me about an hour to hit 250* using the minion method. I let my meat come to room temp. before I throw it on the cooker though. Surprisingly they finished up in just over 12 hours, but when I woke up this morning the cooker was at exactly 300*, temp probably rose when the sun came up. Kevin's absolutely right in his statement too.
icon_smile.gif

Ken, yesterday I finished my first big cook, 2 8lbs and 2 9 lbs, and I've only been smoking for 10 months. I went through the same self doubt that you seem to have. My saga is in the Barbecuing forum with some first timers observations and some good input from the seasoned cooks.

1. You definitely can do this and these folks can help you do it.
2. If you start off with the Minion Method use more hot coals than you do for small cooks. Some suggest a full chimney but I'll have to work my way up to that.
3. Cooking them at 250 to 275 will save you time over cooking at 225 and give equal results.

Now - if any of our veterans says something different - listen to them.

q

Back