First Intro and First Cook (Pics)

Jason Chiovitti

Hello all! A happy hello and a Happy Thanksgiving to my US neighbours!

Got my first WSM last week up here in the great white north and couldn't wait to give her a whirl.

Not my first rodeo. I have several other Weber products and a large Traeger Texas Pellet Smoker but this was my first foray into the more traditional way of smoking with charcoal and wood chunks.

I stuck with a shorter cook with a pretty straight forward product and technique. I can pull together some pretty great ribs on the Traeger so this would give me a good A to B comparison with an expected result.

I'm excited to report that the result was better than expected. I normally smoke my ribs using all Hickory pellets or an Apple based hybrid pellet. With the WSM I was able to use apple chunks sourced from a locally orchard earlier in the year. I found the apple-only ribs had a more pleasant taste and actually a bit smokier than with the pellets, but in a good way. Another things was how tender they turned out without foiling. 3 racks took 5 hours and the other thicker 3 took 6 hours. They were side ribs. They had a great bite through and pulled right off the bone. Perfect! I don't usually get that without foiling wit some liquid in a modified 3-2-1 technique. These were perfect just straight on and off.

Was able to hold consistent temp at 225 most of the time. Wind picked up for a bit with blowing snow (was about 20ºF) which caused me to play with the vents for a while and temps fell down closer to 200 in the 6th hour just cause I was low on fuel and didn't want to add anymore so close to the end of the cook. Used more fuel than I anticipated. Started with a full chimney unlit and about 2/3 of a second chimney lit using the minion method. Had to add about another 1/2 chimney unlit about 4 hours in. I put it down to the weather and having to run all the vents pretty much full open the whole time to maintain temp. I'm sure it won't use nearly as much fuel in the nicer weather.

Cleanup was/is a bit of a bugger compared to the pellet Q. I foiled the bottom of the water pan which was a good idea (that sucker is huge on the 22") but still had to wash a giant pan that doesn't fit in the sink because of all the grease drippings. Was able to wedge the wire racks in an empty dishwasher and, with a brief scrub with a nylon brush part way through the cycle, came out pretty clean. The porcelain coated racks in the Traeger brush off much easier. As for cleaning out the actual WSM cylinder... well that will have to wait for another day. just too crappy outside to deal with it. The insider was coated with condensation after it cooled which has since resulted into frozen smokey drops, drips and runs and the bottom will be full of soggy frozen ash I'm sure. Something I didn't anticipate to be honest.

Anyway, sorry for the long intro. Figured some people might be interested to hear the perspective a new WSM owner coming over from the pellet pooper world. If anyone has any questions on the pellet side of things and differences or perspectives I may have just let me know.

I'm sorry I don't have any pic of the cut, sauced and plated final product but the family was too hungry and I completely forgot until it was too late :(

Cheers and glad to be here. Always up for listening to advice.

Jason.

qpn8.jpg

jrj9.jpg

3mlc.jpg

pkdn.jpg

q7c1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to our addiction Jason! Awesome looking ribs!
I also cook on a pellet pooper and I have to a Grid Iron from Blaz'n Grill Works
and a Traeger junior for camping. Whichever one I use depends on what my
mood is for the day. ;)

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the family !

You'll find cleanup is a lot easier than what you just experienced. I believe most of us that run a dry pan also foil the pan top. After a cook, remove the foil and toss in the trash. Refoil for your next cook. Only during initial cleaning, after receiving the WSM, did my pan see soapy water. I am sure you'll get some great suggestions on cleaning the grills (all much easier than using a dishwasher...). Cooked a couple of turkey breasts today. Only pre-cook cleaning was a gentle wipe of the WSM inside surfaces to remove any loose flakes. Most, if not all, of that coating is what we call seasoning ;)

Again, welcome to group.

Welcome to the group Jason. Looks like you have things under control. Don't worry about gunk build up inside unless it looks like it's going to flake off and fall on the food. Another 6 months and that condensation won't freeze in the cooker anymore.

welcome ! you are off to a wonderful start , brother ! great pictures... foil the inside of that water pan next time and just chuck the foil when youre done...I just leave the outside nekkid...it gets charred , but what the heck?
I just scoop the ash and whatnot out of the bottom and wipe it roughly with a rag....as long as the vents aren't clogged its fine , the next hot fire will burn off the rest.
its a great smoker , that's for sure. hope you continue to enjoy it in good health.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and welcomes! Much appreciated and glad to be part of your community. I'm looking forward to more use and experimenting when the nicer weather arrives.

Cheers!
Jason.

What do you mean - Nicer Weather?
Now is the best time to drive the neighbors crazy with the smells from smoking and grilling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back