First HH Brisket and 2 Whole Chickens

KGressler

Its been a few months since my last brisket and since we are having a little family get together I figured I would fire up the WSM and get ma smoke on.:)

This is i believe my 4th or 5th brisket. They have all gotten slightly better each time I've tried them LnS. So I thought why not give HH a shot. Maybe this is the holy grail. lol

Keeping my prep work the same. My previous briskets have all been 14-17lbs the best one I could find at Sams was a little over 10 lbs. All the other briskets were pretty firm with little bend in them. The one I choose was pretty pliable so I went with it.
Injected with a cup of low salt beef broth and my rub is montreal seasoning, chipotle, paprika and some extra black pepper.

Put it on at 5:20 this morning. Took about 45-50 minutes to regulate my temps around 325. All vent wide open and the door is propped open hopefully this will keep the temps steady. I have never run the WSM this high before.

No idea how long this will take but thinking somewhere between 10 and 12 it should be done. Then I can get the yardbird and baked beans on while it rests.

I try and throw a few photos up later in the day.

Pit has been running pretty hot 330-350 the entire time. Slightly hotter then I wanted but not gonna mess with it. Its been two hours so took a peek to check the temp. Expected about 160-170. Was surprised I got 180. Threw it in a aluminum pan and covered it.
Will check it again in another hour or hour and a half.

KG how are you monitoring temps. At the great or dome thermometer? Remember the grate temp can be as much as 40-50 higher than the dome.
Good luck looking forward to it

Back