First grilled pork tenderloin

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
We found ourselves at a local cash & carry store from a regional commercial food distributor over the weekend. I found a whole pork tenderloin in the freezer marked down to $5 and it wasn't past the sell by date. I couldn't pass that up! This was the first tenderloin that I've not fried and served on bisquits with gravy in my life. Knowing what I know now, that seems to be a terrible waste of very tender pork. Not gonna do that anymore.

Brined the tenderloins overnight in a Teriyaki glaze, with garlic, peppercorns and apple/orange juices.

0506120011.jpg

Rinsed & dried, then sprinkled with Penzey's 33rd & Galena before putting them on the Performer indirect.

0506121222a.jpg

Started indirect until they reached 130°, then moved over direct heat to sear a little. Pulled @ 145°.

0506121234a.jpg

I have always banked coals on one side of my kettle for indirect cooking, but having charcoal baskets makes it easy to maintain temps as well as stack briquettes for searing. As long as I keep coals in the baskets, I think this thing will maintain temps as well or better than my kettle. I may end up using my Performer for Smoke Day.
icon_cool.gif

Used about half a chimney of KBlue with a chunk of pecan and a chunk of apple for flavor. I like this indirect setup.

0506121241.jpg

Rested for about 15 minutes under tented foil before slicing. These look pretty good.

0506121320a.jpg

Sliced and ready to eat.

0506121346a.jpg

Had enough left over for a couple of lunches this week, so today's meal will be sliced pork medallions on a bed of Romaine and mixed greens, with Feta, sliced, toasted almonds and a balsamic vinaigrette. I'm not know for making "cuisine", but it's fun to describe my meals at work that way to my coworkers.
icon_wink.gif

Plated with mashed taters, and a little cracked Tellicherry black pepper. Used a little Mrs. Dash for the taters, as I am cutting down on salt.

0506121349.jpg

We had to run some errands on Sunday afternoon, so we didn't eat a huge meal. This entire cook took less than an hour from start to finish... including starting the coals for the fire. I had both baskets nearly full of ready to cook coals and we had a couple of packs of BSCB's, so I seasoned them up with some chicken rub and tossed 'em on the grill for a few minutes over direct heat. I predict sliced chicken sammies and fajitas for dinner this week, since I was too busy to cook for Cinco de Mayo.

Here are the chicks after grilling. Still one of my favorite things to cook & eat.

0506121411a.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Jim nice cook I will be over anytime you call. I like the bins for indirect cooking also ihave with and wothout now in the last week and the bins keep this neat and easy clean up, plus a more controlled heat it hink.

Kevin Good looking performer there also.

That's some beautiful pork, but the fried/gravy/biscuits approach sounds mighty good too! I'd settle for grilled with biscuits, too.

Back