First Go at a Packer Brisket on the Smokefire

Brisket is done and so am I with the SmokeFire. I must say that the SM puts a nice smoke ring on a piece of meat, but it can't hold temp worth a Sh*t. My actual temps where up to 50 degrees under in a lot of cases. Average was 35 degrees under reported temps. I finally settled on a set time of 245 and a real temp of about 200 to 210. My WSM and even my Kettle holds better temps. So it is now for sale. I waited until the stall and wrapped in foil and used the oven to finish. Quite tasty but I still prefer charcoal taste to wood pellets.
View attachment 26289View attachment 26290
Hey, now you know it will work so you can sell it knowing that. If only I were closer. Good luck on the sale.

Sure Looks tasty Joe. Sorry things didn't go better for you. No I haven't verified the Pit temp - I have just trusted the Smokefire to do it's thing and it's worked for me so far. I think you should reconsider selling it - The best is yet to come

Chris
The next time you use the SF please try a different thermometer to check your temps as I think that is why it took so long. I read of others reporting strangely long cook times and think that is why

I have always ran 20+ degrees below at any temp over 200 degrees. I always run an air probe next to the controller probe. At times at higher temps, there can be 75 degree difference.

You need to do what you feel is best, but that cooking result is the catch that keeps people coming back to the SmokeFIre. Looks really good🥲 to me. I guess it could be frustrating, but the food looks awesome when it does work.

It is a very nice grill. I really like the aesthetics, build quality, controls, phone app, and cleanup. What bothers me the most is that it flat out lies about the actual temperature. If I didn't check it against another thermometer I would have just thought it held a steady temp the whole time and been happy. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I went and checked all my thermometers in boiling water today. The whole point of a pellet grill is to set a temp and have it keep that temp, or at least some where around the set temperature. I would have been happier if it gave accurate temperature readings, even if it had problems keeping that temp. For example maybe it really does not like the pellets I am using, and that is why temps are constantly lower than set. Well I can't really compare it against different pellets if the temps it is reporting are blowing smoke up my butt;-) Maybe Bruce is correct and it is just the results that count. Maybe most people could be happy with a great smoke ring and just figure it takes as long as it takes, cooking at a temp that is much lower than they set (it probably helps get that really nice smoke ring also;-). I listed it for $600. We will see what happens.

Back