First foray into brisket tallow

Yep, that's my go to fat for the "Sonoran Tortillas" in the recipe section......they are really a must make, Chris (and you aren't going to use all that for your brisket, so.....) :)

I pretty much always have a jar of tallow in the fridge now, and my bbq buddies always save their brisket trimmings for me! ......try them with potatoes.....sliced thin.....skillet "fried" in tallow......duck fat eat your heart out! ;)

R

Great job! I think the last time I made it in the Instant Pot. Was easy and did not take too long. How did you make yours?

cool - how long did that take to render - did it stink the house up?
Was easy and did not take too long. How did you make yours?
I had never done this before. I separated meat scrapes from fat so I was rendering just the fat. I cut large pieces maybe 1" wide, placed them in a Dutch oven, and started to render over low heat on the stovetop unlidded. I quickly realized this was a job for the oven, so I moved it into a 250*F oven unlidded. Total time was four hours, stirring occasionally. I could see the pieces changing color and getting crispy as they rendered and it might have actually been finished before the four hour mark. I'm sure I'd get better at judging the time if I did it more often. But the result was good, I thought.

The process did make the house smell like I was cooking meat. We didn't think it was stinky, though.

For guys with bigger pits, this is something that's often done in a foil pan in the smoker off to the side while cooking the brisket, giving the rendered fat a smoky flavor. Harder for me to pull this off in the 18" WSM given that I'd be cooking on both grates, so rendering the tallow the day before was the easier option for me.

While my brisket is cooking in my WSM I will put my pellet grill to good use rendering the trimmings.

I had never done this before. I separated meat scrapes from fat so I was rendering just the fat. I cut large pieces maybe 1" wide, placed them in a Dutch oven, and started to render over low heat on the stovetop unlidded. I quickly realized this was a job for the oven, so I moved it into a 250*F oven unlidded. Total time was four hours, stirring occasionally. I could see the pieces changing color and getting crispy as they rendered and it might have actually been finished before the four hour mark. I'm sure I'd get better at judging the time if I did it more often. But the result was good, I thought.

The process did make the house smell like I was cooking meat. We didn't think it was stinky, though.

For guys with bigger pits, this is something that's often done in a foil pan in the smoker off to the side while cooking the brisket, giving the rendered fat a smoky flavor. Harder for me to pull this off in the 18" WSM given that I'd be cooking on both grates, so rendering the tallow the day before was the easier option for me.
Cool - glad it was a good experience! I've only done it with leaf lard from a pig to use for confit. We did it outside in cast iron on a propane burner - it took a long time as well - (thats why I asked about the smell) - I like the idea of doing it on an offset... I bet that would work well.....

Cool - glad it was a good experience! I've only done it with leaf lard from a pig to use for confit. We did it outside in cast iron on a propane burner - it took a long time as well - (thats why I asked about the smell) - I like the idea of doing it on an offset... I bet that would work well.....
Peter, it does take a while, but can be done easily indoors or out. I've done it in the oven, pellet grill, and my Genesis. Just want to keep the temp under 240/250, uncovered, and give it a stir every now and then. White gold, I'm tellin' ya! :)

R

Back