First cooks with new 14.5" Weber.

Thomas/Klamerus

TVWBB Member
I used a Cabelas gift card and some of my own money to purchase a 14.5" WSM. I already have the 18.5" WSM but wanted the smaller model. I have done two cooks with it. My first cook was Beer-Can chicken and my second was Meatloaf. It is hard to do high temp cooks. For the first cook I used briquettes and the temps never got above 280. I was using a BBQ GURU DigiQ with a 10 CFM fan. While the chicken was good the skin was rubbery. On the second cook I used lump and was able to get the temp up to 315 but it only stayed hot for about 45 minutes. I think the cooker will handle low and slow much better. All in all not a bad Christmas present.

Did you use water? The pan you have the chicken in my restrict air flow to the point of lower temps. I say this because I have no problem getting high temps but without water or a big pan like this.

I do not use water. I just lined the water pan with four sheets of foil. While airflow might be restricted the 10 CFM fan should circulate enough air.

I'm with Dwain on the pan restricting air flow. Although I'm certainly no expert, even with the fan I don't think you'll get the "chimney effect" needed for proper cooking.
I let mine run just to see what it would do and pegged the thermo, so it will get hot.

Back