First Cook on 18.5 WSM: Ribs and Chicken Legs

Thanks guys. Never thought it would be this much fun. In the past 3 weeks I've picked up a S-330, this smoker and tried to buy a used performer. I'm addicted!!

Tom...I got the rib rack from Amazon. It's a Brinkman. It got pretty good reviews. I've used it twice now and so far, so good.

Every new smoker/kettle I've ever used/bought/built was christened with chicken and ribs, the perfect first meal! Congrats

That Brinkmann rib rack is also sold at Home Depot. Handy item.

The chicken actually came out a little better than the ribs. The ribs were also good but a little too fatty. Gonna hit up costco again in a few days and try some other stuff.

Thanks for all the help!!

Thanks Tony!

Probably a pork loin. Then again, may use the rotisserie for that in the 330. Any thoughts?

If i have time this weekend i may try to smoke a pork butt and have some friends over. The best part is sharing the food and hanging out i think.

Looks good...
What will you smoke next?

Mmmmm.., Pork butt! That's what the WSM was meant to cook! :)

Thanks Tony!

Probably a pork loin. Then again, may use the rotisserie for that in the 330. Any thoughts?

If i have time this weekend i may try to smoke a pork butt and have some friends over. The best part is sharing the food and hanging out i think.

The chicken actually came out a little better than the ribs. The ribs were also good but a little too fatty. Gonna hit up costco again in a few days and try some other stuff.

Thanks for all the help!!

dumb question but did you remove the membrane on the back? that can add to the fatty texture. otherwise looks great - ribs are what i smoke the most in my WSM.

dumb question but did you remove the membrane on the back? that can add to the fatty texture. otherwise looks great - ribs are what i smoke the most in my WSM.

Tim- No i didn't remove the membrane on the back. But most of the fat was on the meat side of the ribs. It just wasn't a good rack overall i don't think. I scrimped a little at Kroger's and got the rack on sale. I'm not a big fan of Kroger's meat. We have a lot better luck at Costco and Sam's club and the local butchers....when we can afford them :)

Mike;
You might want to take a look at Harry Soo's PDF;
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21030-PDF-The-BBQ-Wisdom-of-Harry-Soo

I do ribs at his recommended 275 degrees (also Boston Butts). I agree with Harry that the fat seems to render better, you get better bark, and the cook time is seriously reduced - all GOOD!

By the way, I have been using two of those Brinkman rib racks in all three of my smokers ever since I built my Mini-Joe. I don't do ribs any other way! I cut the rib racks in half and can and have done as many as eight half racks at a time.

Costco is also my provider of their terrific loin back ribs!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I scrimped a little at Kroger's and got the rack on sale. I'm not a big fan of Kroger's meat. We have a lot better luck at Costco and Sam's club and the local butchers....when we can afford them :)

Be careful of Krogers branded meats. Make sure the packaging does not say "moist and juicy" or something like that. Krogers adds about 10% (in weight) using a saline injection to their "Moist and Tender" packaged meats. If you buy (say) 5 lbs of ribs, then 10% (or 1/2 pound) is saline solution, not meat. Also, these meats do not do real well in the smokers. My experience is they tend to burn easy and have a bit of an "off" taste after smoking.

Thanks Robert! And i will print out Soo's PDF...i've already skimmed it. And yes, i bet the higher temp would have helped render some of the fat. i will try that method next time.

Mike;
You might want to take a look at Harry Soo's PDF;
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21030-PDF-The-BBQ-Wisdom-of-Harry-Soo

I do ribs at his recommended 275 degrees (also Boston Butts). I agree with Harry that the fat seems to render better, you get better bark, and the cook time is seriously reduced - all GOOD!

By the way, I have been using two of those Brinkman rib racks in all three of my smokers ever since I built my Mini-Joe. I don't do ribs any other way! I cut the rib racks in half and can and have done as many as eight half racks at a time.

Costco is also my provider of their terrific loin back ribs!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks Ron! Yeah, i'm not a big fan of Kroger's but it was close by...not again.

Be careful of Krogers branded meats. Make sure the packaging does not say "moist and juicy" or something like that. Krogers adds about 10% (in weight) using a saline injection to their "Moist and Tender" packaged meats. If you buy (say) 5 lbs of ribs, then 10% (or 1/2 pound) is saline solution, not meat. Also, these meats do not do real well in the smokers. My experience is they tend to burn easy and have a bit of an "off" taste after smoking.

Back