First Chicken on new WSM 18" [Pic heavy]

JessicaB

TVWBB Member
I received an 18" WSM for Christmas and decided to do a couple of chickens for myself and friends. I didn't get the chickens in time to brine, so I just rubbed them down with the Dinosaur BBQ Foreplay rub and cooked them up.

I read a bunch about the skin being rubbery with smoked chicken so I compromised and tried to get the WSM up to 300F. It great until I flipped the birds and the temperature spiked for about 20 minutes to about 365. That may very well be how I got some decent skin that wasn't all too rubbery. Everything I did I did based on what I learned here, which is great. I put the chicken breast-side down on the grill for 1.5 hours, then flipped them. They were at 140 when I flipped them. I used what I think was the minion method, even though that is not intended for short and higher heat cooks. I wanted to "kind of smoke" them and just decided to go with it. This is the first time I've managed the charcoal well. I bought a Weber Kettle over the summer and have never had 100% great results. User error for sure.

The chickens are about 5 lbs and 6 lbs respectively. They were a huge hit and best of all, they were pretty. I was more interested in how pretty they were than anything else. :D

The only hassle was and still is that probe gasket they include on the newer WSMs. It took 25 minutes to get it set in when I put the thing together and then it came out when I tried removing my probe. Another 20 minutes and it still wasn't in but I was thoroughly frustrated. Once the rain lets up I will try to see if I can't get it back in. I don't know if there was an easier way than how the directions show me, but all in all it is by far the worst piece to "install" on the smoker. My smoker came with a dent, which I'll address with Weber. It didn't look like it would matter a whole lot overall.

Ramble over! I'm very excited and will be doing pork butts next weekend for friends and of course myself!
IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

Nice cook, welcome from Chapel Hill. Nothing beats smoked Chicken. When I cook mine, I like to Spatchcock mine, easier to get the bird up to temp in my opinion.

Last edited:
That's some great chicken! I usually cook my vertical, but I like how you did yours, the grill marks look great

Welcome aboard. Great lookin cook for sure! Nothin wrong with smokin at 300+*F. You did great - no rules at all. I do it all the time for poultry and brisket.

Your cooker will run hot for a while until it's seasoned well. Then you'll have a tough time getting it that high without a trick or two.

Also, remove the lid, do what you gotta do, and get the lid back on without delays to prevent temp spikes. If you have a lot to do, remove the whole grate food and all, replace the lid, do what you gotta do, remove the lid again, get the grate back on, and replace the lid. The cooker temp will increase due to the larger chimney but should recover within a few minutes.

Work with the grommet as best you can. I recommend not using tools so you don't tear or cut it. Make sure the inside lip is fully pulled thru all the way around. It's a PITA but it'll work. Just take your time.

Last edited:
After seeing this post I'm going to start using my 18.5 for chickens.
A few questions. . .
Did you use water in the pan or did you just foil it?
I brine my chickens every time, but I was wondering if you could tell the difference.

Nice looking chickens, Jessica. Love the "grill marks" even though it came off the wsm.

Nice looking birds! Did you remove the water pan for the cook to get the higher temps? I've been cooking w/o the water pan a lot and loving it. Just cooked a pork butt yesterday high heat and turned out perfect! Congrats on the new wsm!

Nice cook, welcome from Chapel Hill. Nothing beats smoked Chicken. When I cook mine, I like to Spatchcock mine, easier to get the bird up to temp in my opinion.
I had to google Spatchcock. Something new learned everyday. I'll try that method for sure.
That's some great chicken! I usually cook my vertical, but I like how you did yours, the grill marks look great
I originally stuck the hanging rack in my cart on Amazon (used the link here so someone gets paid) but then I got those grill marks, which seriously impressed people. Who knows if I can do that one again as I'm usually a single use one trick pony. Beginners luck and all. I think I'll still buy the hanging rack, if only to have more accessories.
Welcome aboard. Great lookin cook for sure! Nothin wrong with smokin at 300+*F. You did great - no rules at all. I do it all the time for poultry and brisket.

Your cooker will run hot for a while until it's seasoned well. Then you'll have a tough time getting it that high without a trick or two.

Also, remove the lid, do what you gotta do, and get the lid back on without delays to prevent temp spikes. If you have a lot to do, remove the whole grate food and all, replace the lid, do what you gotta do, remove the lid again, get the grate back on, and replace the lid. The cooker temp will increase due to the larger chimney but should recover within a few minutes.

Work with the grommet as best you can. I recommend not using tools so you don't tear or cut it. Make sure the inside lip is fully pulled thru all the way around. It's a PITA but it'll work. Just take your time.
I read here on the new WSM owners page that because of the interior coating being all shiny and new, the temps will be higher. However, what do you mean about temps not getting that high without a trick or two? I think that page for new owners is invaluable. I was thinking I'd have to season the thing and all that, but I don't. It's nice to have that resource.

I will work with the grommet. It sure is a silly pain, but I figured I'd try when the rain stopped and it wasn't 11 pm.
After seeing this post I'm going to start using my 18.5 for chickens.
A few questions. . .
Did you use water in the pan or did you just foil it?
I brine my chickens every time, but I was wondering if you could tell the difference.

Nice looking birds! Did you remove the water pan for the cook to get the higher temps? I've been cooking w/o the water pan a lot and loving it. Just cooked a pork butt yesterday high heat and turned out perfect! Congrats on the new wsm!

I used the pan but left it empty and completely forgot to foil it. Yes, I was scrubbing for a bit the next morning, even though it soaked all night. I won't forget to do that again most likely. I read here that using it empty was important for higher heat and shorter cooks. Water helps maintain a steady temp. I do believe I'm going to get a clay saucer and see how that works out as well. I have to read more about when to use it and such.

I intend to do a chicken on my Weber OTG just to see the difference. As for brining, I've brined thighs and felt as though they really did turn out very good. I ensured the thighs didn't have a ton of water added and such. i never thought about it with the chickens for no reason. Someone else mentioned to check to see if they were pre brined. I got them at Sam's club. If they're not brined already then I do intend to brine a chicken and see if I can tell the difference. The breast wasn't super dry, but it could have used a little more juice. The thighs, legs, and wings were juicy.

Great looking cook!

Yeah, that grommet is a real PITA to install. Mrs TUK had to install the one on my 14.5", after
I turned the air blue for an hour whilst I tried it...grrr!!

there really is nothing like roast chicken on the weber grill or smoker. yours looks amazing ! nice work.

What are you storing in the plastic bins? Hopefully not hot coals! :rolleyes:

Hot coals. haha
One has charcoal and the other has wood chips, my thermometer, and my mit. Oh and a lighter. :D

They're kept inside out of the elements. I do think I should get a container that holds an entire bag of coal, but this one is working for me now.

Back