First Butt: Renowned Mr. Brown

Doug M

TVWBB Member
Two bone-in butts from our local butcher, one was 7.2 lbs and the other 7.8 lbs. Rubbed, refrigerated overnight, then re-rubbed before smoking them over apple, hickory, and oak for roughly 13 hours.

Filled the charcoal chamber with unlit briquettes and smoke wood then added about 30 hot coals (started in the chimney starter), problem I ran into was the water pan was sitting on top of the pile of coals when I put it in. So I had to remove the water pan and rearrange the coals/wood more towards the outside of the ring so the pile wasn't so high in the middle which seemed to fix the problem.

Also, when it came time to add more fuel, rather than fire up the chimney and add hot coals I simply added 20 or so unlit briquettes right into the chamber with the already burning coals. My temperature had started to spike at this point from having the lid open too long, so I thought the unlit coals would help bring down the temperature some. Is there any way to prevent the temps from spiking when the lid is open? Or I probably just had the lid open for too long?

I still feel like everything I've smoked so far has come out too black in color, could this have anything to do with the brand of charcoal I've been using?

Anyway, pictures below.

MrBrown1.jpg

MrBrown2.jpg

Last edited:
I recommend not opening the lid except to remove the grate with the food on it and then closing it right after. That way you won't get the huge spike and can work on a side table as required, then reinstall the lid. This should take seconds vs minutes. BT...good looking butts.

I still feel like everything I've smoked so far has come out too black in color, could this have anything to do with the brand of charcoal I've been using?
if you're using sugar in your rubs, that will help with the "too black in color"...
try replacing the sugar with turbinado sugar.

that's some nice lookin' bark you have there.

Not sure what you're smoking on, but 13 hours seems like a long time. I did 2 butts last weekend on the WSM and were done in like 8 hours running about 260.

Doug,

Bark looks great to me. Sounds like you over-filled the charcoal chamber/ring. I usually fill to about level w/ top of the ring, leaving room for the lit briquettes (10-12). My butts go anywhere from 13-16 hours, deepening on size. I don't use water (clay saucer/base) and Guru temp controller.

Looks perfect to me. That dark color is just the sugar in your rub carmelizing, and probably some smoke.

That's called Good Bark! BAM, Nice cook Sir!

Jim is right about the tubinado sugar. Less molasses in it and has a much lower burn rate.

Thanks for the feedback guys, the end result did taste great. I used turbinado sugar just as the rub recipe called for, but would like to try this again using Kingsford charcoal and see if the results are any different (more similar to Chris' recipe photos). Also I'm not that familiar with vinegar based sauces but the Carolina Red recipe was not well received by myself or the rest of the group. Found the vinegar was overpowering the meat, but to each their own.

Not sure what you're smoking on, but 13 hours seems like a long time. I did 2 butts last weekend on the WSM and were done in like 8 hours running about 260.

Smoked them on the 18.5" WSM trying to keep the temp between 225°-250° as best possible, I would say it averaged 235° with a couple spikes up to 260°. When I had the lid open for too long I think it peaked somewhere around 300° - maybe that was part of the reason for the overly black color.

I recommend not opening the lid except to remove the grate with the food on it and then closing it right after. That way you won't get the huge spike and can work on a side table as required, then reinstall the lid. This should take seconds vs minutes. BT...good looking butts.

This is a great idea and makes a lot of sense, simple answer to my problem - thanks!

What do you mean when you say "I had the lid open for too long"? Once I get them going I don't open the lid until it's time to take them off, other than to snap a quick picture or two occasionally.

What do you mean when you say "I had the lid open for too long"? Once I get them going I don't open the lid until it's time to take them off, other than to snap a quick picture or two occasionally.

Opened the lid to turn them over/end-for-end and baste them (going by the recipe instructions).

I've never turned, mopped, sprayed, or basted butts, and they come out great.

Maybe they'd be even better if I did turn and baste, but I like to keep it simple. I never lift the lid except to check temp of meat near the end.

Back