First Burn...Weber Summit Kamado S6

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Finished assembly (hardest part was getting the damn shrink/stainless wrap off!) and first burn around 400 degrees....

Will try toss a chicken on tonight! Weather gods granted me some nice warm weather to get my grill on! +5C here today!! T-Shirt weather for us still running on winter blood.

My poor Keg in the background wondering what is going on....almost feel bad for it.

1614703281952.png 1614703604257.png 1614703637779.png

Yeah, it was certainly a splurge on my part - we cook pretty well exclusively at home so this was a retirement present to myself as don't spend money really anywhere else. My Keg (seen in background) I purchased about 10-12 years ago at a yard sale for $250, I will be selling it 10 years later for more than I paid for it...hehe. With Covid, we've been saving money, and my wife just retired a while back, and I am considering retiring this year so I will likely be on a very limited budget for the next life stages. We timed a few purchased accordingly....a new vehicle, a new BBQ etc. Bigger expenses out of the way...now all the health problems will start kicking in for sure!! haha.

Alternatively, it was this or a Big Joe (I wanted a 24" grill surface + capabilities of a Kamado), which here is $3300....so the Summit was the cheaper alternative.

That's a very classy rig that I am sure will serve up lots of great meals in years to come!

Wife and I retired two years ago but I opted for some woodworking toys as a retirement gift to myself as I have lots of grills. Make sure you post lots of pics of your cooks so I can drool over it. 😆
Enjoy it!

Grant, this is the post I’ve been waiting for all week. Still waiting for the delivery truck show up here in Winnipeg. While I am a far ways from retirement, I figured I’d learn how to use the Summit now, so I can perfect it by the time I pull the pin in 16 years. :D

I’ve already purchased a few of the accessories that can be used in the middle of the Summit.

Congrats on that grill sir. Looking forward to your photos of upcoming cooks.

Well, the inaugural cook was a great success I am happy to say. I started out after work just playing with one plastic scoop of hardwood lump coals - used the scoop that came with grill. Such a simple little extra but I'll be using it every time to measure charcoal. Placed the charcoal in the Weber charcoal trays over the snapjet starter for a couple minutes and opened up the vents a bit to make sure they were started.

Put the lower vent on the smoke mark, and kept playing with the upper vent until I could stop the temperature change....had it sit at 250 for an hour. Quite satisfying to be able to manage it first try. Top vent was just cracked just a tiny bit - maybe about 1/8th open.

So, having been able to do that, I pulled out the charcoal, raised the charcoal grate to the top level, opened up the vents, and then dumped the burning charcoal to spread out and let things get nice and toasty.

Interesting that the temp gauge was only showing 300, but the coals were glowing hot after quite a short time that I knew it would good to grill. I did not have to wait for entire grill to heat. Tossed on some pork chops for the first grill cook. 3-4 minutes per side and a perfect 145 internal. Came out quite nice...one of our favorites.

One thing I learned today...I need a grate lifter tool or something....that lower grate is hard to grab. Suggestions?

1614738300063.png

Last edited:
WooHoo!!! Grant got his new cooker! And a mighty fine one I might add! Congratulations Grant on your new Weber and more importantly, your up coming retirement. Enjoy my friend. 👍

Yeah, it was certainly a splurge on my part - we cook pretty well exclusively at home so this was a retirement present to myself as don't spend money really anywhere else. My Keg (seen in background) I purchased about 10-12 years ago at a yard sale for $250, I will be selling it 10 years later for more than I paid for it...hehe. With Covid, we've been saving money, and my wife just retired a while back, and I am considering retiring this year so I will likely be on a very limited budget for the next life stages. We timed a few purchased accordingly....a new vehicle, a new BBQ etc. Bigger expenses out of the way...now all the health problems will start kicking in for sure!! haha.

Alternatively, it was this or a Big Joe (I wanted a 24" grill surface + capabilities of a Kamado), which here is $3300....so the Summit was the cheaper alternative.
Very nice, I can’t wait to retire! 7 years🤞🏻I plan on doing similar, I’m holding out for my dream truck so it will last well into retirement.
Awesome grill!

One thing I learned today...I need a grate lifter tool or something....that lower grate is hard to grab. Suggestions?

View attachment 23470
First off congratulations on your summit charcoal. I have a Gen 1 and it has become my go to cooker. Love it.

this is what I am using to lift the center belowF608D739-A9F7-46FC-B6CD-01C26FC6E085.jpeg it’s made by charbroil and it is by far the best lifter I have found. Used it for years literally. However, it has been hard to find and out of stock online for a bit now.

this is made by green egg:D3F1E4B0-7D26-4352-835B-FAF5BE158AA2.jpeg it’s almost like a channel lock pliers without the lock. It grips great but the handle is shorter so it gets a little bit hot lifting the charcoal grate after using the snap jet. It also is expensive in my opinion at 20 dollars. Both however work well.

you may also consider investing in the charcoal rake by Weber. I’ve found when using the charcoal basket it is nice to use the rake to center the basket and then move the charcoal grate with basket up to the next level.
Enjoy your charcoal summit it really is a nice cooker and once you get a few things figured out since it is different than the WSM and standard kettle I think you are really going to like the consistence of this cooker.

Very nice Grant. I`m with you on a 24 inch cooking surface. I have a couple kettles,18 wsm and 18 kamado Joe, and their are times I wish I had more room. What is the difference between gen 1 and gen 2 S6? Is the cooker itself the same? Enjoy your new toy.

Very nice Grant. I`m with you on a 24 inch cooking surface. I have a couple kettles,18 wsm and 18 kamado Joe, and their are times I wish I had more room. What is the difference between gen 1 and gen 2 S6? Is the cooker itself the same? Enjoy your new toy.

The biggest difference between Gen 1 and 2 came on the E6 (no table version) - they removed the snap-jet ignition system and dropped the price about $500. The first release of the E6 had a design change in the legs but it was quite wobbly....Weber recalled them all and went back to a rigid brace which fixed that right up. It was hard to pass up the much less expensive E6...but I wanted the table for my BBQ area.

The S6 (table version) was price reduced to a lesser amount....I wish they had also removed the snap-jet and dropped some more $$ off the price because while I have to admit I find it convenient...it's not that big deal to use one of many other ways to light it up.

I may miss something here, but the main differences are:
  • Removed snap-jet ignition (E6 only)
  • Changed the hinged/insulated diffuser plate to a solid one (E6 and S6)
  • Changed a solid surface bottom shelf to a wire-basket style (S6)
  • Changed the hard plastic charcoal bin to a plastic bag style (E6 and S6) - this is the ONE thing I wish they left! The bag kinda sucks.

Haha....nope. Pretty sure not. I think it came with some piece of cast iron....perhaps my half-moon cast iron plate I have in the Keg. I did see a grate lifter on Amazon and I have that on order too as it was so cheap as an add-on item.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CTK9R34/

Back