First Brisket Questions

Larry Powers

TVWBB Member
I am planning my first brisket cook tonight using the "Midnight Cook" recipe. I have a 12 lb packer brisket that I have trimmed the fat and seasoned per the recipe. There is a good difference in the thickness of the brisket from on end to the other. When checking the temperature and tenderness I assume you check the thicker end. Is this correct? Given the thin end is going to be more cooked then the thick end, do you use some of this to make burnt ends along with the point or just slice and serve the whole flat?

Thanks.

You can make burnt ends out of the flat also if you want and you can make burnt ends out of pork or anything else for that matter. The point is the best on brisket but cube your heart out. Enjoy your meal.

Typically people make burnt ends from the point. They try to get perfect slices from the flat. You can cut the point from the flat and cube it and put it back on which is typical. Then just keep slicing the flat. The point is too fatty for most.

However, to a Texas it's all about the fatty brisket. If you get the fat rendered right it's one of the tastiest things on this earth.

So in answer you can do whatever you want. It depends on your preferences.

Back