First brisket on WSM

Scott Segrin

Fired up the 22" WSM about 9:30 pm - full fire ring, Minion method w/about 20 hot coals. One small piece of apple in the middle and three pieces of cherry around it. After about an hour the smoker was up to 215. Put the brisket on the top rack (13 lb before trimming) and put one gallon hot water in the pan. I'm a little worried about a temp spike overnight and I think the water will help that. Going to try to stay up another couple hours to make sure temp levels off. With any luck, it's tomorrow's dinner.
2013-07-06%2022.27.41.jpg

Hi Scott,

Everything will be just fine. You'll end up with an excellent brisket.
oh... may I suggest you count sheep, not WSMs... ;)

Here's a picture that works... (Can't get the hang of that dang iPad yet)

Add - injected with beef broth Worcestershire (thanks, spell checker) sauce combo. Rub is a recipe from on here. Cooking fat side down - just like you see it.

2013-07-06%2022.27.41.jpg

Last edited:
Hope all went well. You were wise to use some water to prevent a spike in temps Scott. Looking forward to some pics

At 5:00 a.m. the WSM was at 210 lid temp. Meat was 154 in the point and 158 in the flat. I opened a couple of vents just a smidge. Now - 7:30 a.m. the point is 164, flat is 168, WSM is 235 - just flipped it. I'm looking to eat around 4:30 - 5:00 this afternoon, give or take. Am I on pace? Ahead? Behind? I was thinking I'd foil at some point, but I'd like a little more bark than I've got at the moment.

Just a couple of side notes... I put a 1/2 size aluminum pan under the meat overnight to catch the drippings. Got a good healthy cup and a half. Looks so good I could drink it. That's going to go over the burnt ends. Another thing from yesterday... if you've got an old cast iron pan that could use a coat of seasoning, fry up your brisket trimmings in it for about 20 minutes just to get some melt going. Dump the trimmings, wipe it out with towel and pop it in the oven for an hour at 450. Comes out black as coal. Smells the house up real nice too.

You could kick up the temp on WSM a notch or not. If you foil, do it around 165 or so and be prepared for more liquid. I would try more to tent it as they will throw another cup or so.

Scott I would not foil it, and I believe your temps are going to be fine for your scheduled meal time. You might want to loosely foil the tip area about six inches or so back along the bottom and up the sides and just loosely close the top leaving some open. Works great. Also consider doing a mop a few times. Especially hitting the flat.
Once she hits the 185 range in the thick part of the flat pull that thermometer right out, start using a skewer every fifteen minutes by pushing in along the side of the flat. When that skewer slides right in, and not a minute before pull her, let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes or so.

Oh and if you can don't pull the lid off completely doing any of these things, have someone lift just the edge of the lid enough for you to use the skewer. Makes a difference in temps and times.

Here's how she looked when I pulled her off. 15 hours. 204 on the flat, 202 on the point. Odd consistency - almost gelatinous. Extremely tender to the skewer though. (Did not foil BTW.) Wrapped like a Christmas present and into the cooler until dinner time.

This WSM is an amazing beast. Responds precisely to my touch of the vents and holds rock steady otherwise. I lit the thing last night at 9:30 p.m. It's 2:00 p.m. today and I've still got plenty of fuel left for beans, appetizers and burnt ends.

2013-07-07%2012.45.35.jpg

Last edited:
As per your description with the skewer and the appearance of that piece of meat looks like you nailed it my friend, wish I was sitting at your table today.

Here is a picture my son took of the final product. Absolutely the most moist and tender brisket I have ever eaten. Burnt ends were also incredible.

1001014_10200119010850133_421000291_n.jpg

Back