First Brisket on the Bullet

Nick Cosby

TVWBB Fan
Tomorrow I'll be Smoking my first brisket on the Bullet, I went to HEB and got a 13.17lb packer will be using Salt-Licks Dry Rub and their Sauce as a baste, if I go by the rule of thumb for smoking brisket of 1-1.25 hr's per pound it should take 13-16hrs to cook right? The last time I smoked one I did it on my 26.75 didn't do a wrap of aluminum at certain temps like everyone else does and the brisket was still a success so I'll stick to doing that. Since I would like to have this done by 3ish should I fire throw it on at 11-midnight night before?

It will depend on what temp you'll re running, if you go 225, it probably will take that long. I go 250-275 which is ideal IMO and cut a couple hours off.

Well the briskest probably been on for 8 hours by now but yes start early. It's easier to hold brisket warm for a few hours than it is to try and speed up your cook to get it done on time.

Nick, hope you are taking photos. Some of us with 26's would like to know about your LNS method.
Thanks

In response to the LNS method for using my 26 I'd just adjust the bottom ash dump/dampers as well as the top or i'd put 3 balls of aluminum in 3 of the holes on top. and keep an aluminum pan full of water under the brisket.

Ok, well here it is 9 hrs and 15 mins in to the cook and my internal temps are already in the 200, it's 3 am and where are the guest crap I knew this would happen. Thing is I monitored the temp the whole time and it sat from 225-250 the whole time. Hell I didn't even trim like last time, Guess I'll Foil it and set it in cooler until morning and start warming itbefore people show up crap.

Ok, well here it is 9 hrs and 15 mins in to the cook and my internal temps are already in the 200, it's 3 am and where are the guest crap I knew this would happen. Thing is I monitored the temp the whole time and it sat from 225-250 the whole time. Hell I didn't even trim like last time, Guess I'll Foil it and set it in cooler until morning and start warming itbefore people show up crap.

I see this all to often on Brisket cooks.

Big cuts of BBQ are done by tenderness not by a specific time nor temp at all! Thickness of the cut is what matters, not the weight!

If you need to hold after it is "tender/done" make sure you let it rest under a foil tent for 15-20 min to STOP the cooking before you wrap and hold or you will end up with a over cooked product! I wouldn't hold more than 4 hours, with brisket you would do as good to chill then reheat later.

Last edited:
wow, the bark was like candy almost, although the flat was dry, it had good flavor, and the point. Damn was that good and juicy, and what I loved the most was taking the smoke ringed parts and chewing on them like jerky.mmmmmmm Not a failure for first brisket on Bullet a lesson and tasty adventure.

Not the best photo I have a few others of the cutting.

Ahhhh.... Congratulations, Nick. Looks good !!!

To ensure you get it to your liking, I suggest that you Practice, Practice, Practice.... As often as you can ! (grin)
One can never have too much Candy ;)

Bob

Back