FIRST brisket- I got one too small

Chris Barry

TVWBB Member
I have smoked ribs, butts, & chicken, but wanted to try a brisket, so I got one today at SAM's Club. After reading the forums, I got only a partial one (3.83 lbs), and it is well trimmed. (I will get a packer next time...)

I would like to serve it early afternoon tomorrow (maybe dinner though). Any suggestions for marinade (yes/no), temp, foiling? I was thinking of marinating for a couple of hours, then starting it tonight at 225-250, foiling in the morning, and checking for doneness around noon.

ANY suggestions are appreciated.

Flats are notoriously dry when cooked alone. Marinating or injecting will definitely help. I almost always foil once it starts to stall (145-160) and finishing it in foil all the way. Pull in the 195-205 range. Leave it in foil for at least 30 min to 1 hour after. It will help salvage what little moisture is available. Plan for 1-1.5 hours per lb at 250. Good luck!

Thanks. I think I will marinate overnight, then start the cook in the morning, shooting for an early dinner finish. Thanks for the advice!
Flats are notoriously dry when cooked alone. Marinating or injecting will definitely help. I almost always foil once it starts to stall (145-160) and finishing it in foil all the way. Pull in the 195-205 range. Leave it in foil for at least 30 min to 1 hour after. It will help salvage what little moisture is available. Plan for 1-1.5 hours per lb at 250. Good luck!

I do a lot of flats just cooking for my wife and I....I use the injection from howtobbqright.com and foil at about 160 to 165. Never had a dry one since I stared injecting and foiling, Ken

Small, partial flats are the bane of BBQ and a waste of good charcoal IMHO. Been there, done that, and not goin' back. Cook HIGH HEAT, and FOIL as soon as there's some bark. If cooking low-n-slow, all bets are off as to when finally tender.

Back