First Brisket Help - Picture attached.

Sean McClellan

Hello all....this is my first post.

I got a WSM 18.5" about three weeks ago. So far I have smoked ribs and a whole chicken. I just purchased a 17 lb. packer brisket. I dropped $150 on this baby and I don't want to screw it up!

My plan is to start it about 6:00 pm on Friday. Check it and give it a spray at 12, and then let it go through the night. My plan is to only season it with salt and pepper, and to use the minion method.

Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit. The picture I want to post is on my desktop. How can I attach it?

If you don't have one already, a dual probe remote thermometer with one probe on the grate is a must in my opinion. I had one and on my first cook, but used the probes on the brisket and the butt and I lost sleep because I didn't have one on the grate.

You have to post a URL to your pic from Flickr or similar photo hosting website.
http://tvwbb.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_postphoto

Last edited:
You may find (after waking up hour after hour to "possibly" check temps) that if you continue to do overnight cooks, you'll end up getting an ATC.

I just got the cheapest "PartyQ" and now that I have my rechargeable battery issue solved, I love it. I even replace my grate probe on my remote thermometer with a 2nd meat probe when I cook dual meats because I can rely on the PartQ to keep my grate temp consistent. ;)

Good luck with your brisket!!! And WELCOME to the forum!!! :wsm:

First thing, welcome to the forum. It is a great place to learn and to share. The people here are very friendly and helpful. Congrats on that new WSM. As for suggestions, if you could share the process you will use for the brisket, it might help with and thoughts we might have. Sounds like everyone who partakes of that brisket is going to have a fine meal. I will be blessing my family and extended family with a whole packer prime brisket for Labor Day. That makes me very happy. Good luck with your cook.

Thanks for the replies.

What does ATC stand for?

As for the process. Coat with salt and pepper. Light the smoker using the minion method and fill the pan with water and maybe beer?. Do not open for at least 6 hours. Once I open it, spray it with apple cider vinegar. After that, I have no plan. Keep letting it cook the same way? Wrap in foil?

Welcome to the forum Eean.
Use the thin can method using very few lit briquettes. Maybe 5-10.
Do nt fill water pan. Just cover it wirh double foil. Leave a concave for drippings. Or place a drippping pan in the lower grate.
Put a small muffin pan on the meat grate with some water just enough water for 2-3 hours moist enviroment.
Remember that a 17# packer gives to the enviroment great moistness.

ATC = Automatic Temperature Control, I believe.

There is really no right or wrong way to do it, it really becomes a matter of preference based on your results. What you have lined out will work, as you get tuned in with your smoker you will figure out what works best for you.

I have used water in the pan so far, but the next brisket will be without water. I guess I am a lazy smoker because I do not spray or wrap the meats and only open it when I have to add fuel, but I was also cooking the butt on the top grate and essentially let it baste the brisket below. People will wrap the brisket to get through the plateau quicker, also known as the Texas Crutch, I'm lazy so I don't bother. I think the best way to check for doneness, is by using the probe test on the thickest part of the flat, if the probe goes in with little resistance it is done. When you remove the brisket you should let it rest for some time by wrapping in heavy duty foil and placing it in and empty cooler lined with towels, this enables the juices to redistribute throughout the meat. I let mine rest for 3 hours and then slice.

All this brisket talk is making me consider a change in the menu for this weekend.

I am one of those that still use water in the pan and am very happy with the outcome. A little more cleanup but a great brisket. The probe test for doneness is spot on. A little clarification on letting it rest at the end of the cook. Once you pull it off the smoker you should let it rest for 20 or 30 minutes before foiling and placing it in a cooler as mentioned above. The reason for this is that is you immediately foil it and put it in the cooler, it will continue to cook and become overdone. By letting it rest before foiling it will come down it temp to say 170* and the cooking process will stop.

I am one of those that foil at about 165* and then probe for tenderness starting at about 185*. Used to start probing at 195* but am now using USDA prime whole packers from Costco and they can get tender at a lower temp. When it is tender and I pull it from the smoker, I put it in a disposable aluminum pan and open the foil wrap to rest for 20 or more minutes till it temps at about 170*.

The key is to do what works for you and that will come with experience. Good Luck and good eating.

BTW, I do also use a automatic temperature controller since I do like to sleep at night but the smart thing to do is learn how your WSM works before even considering that approach.

As for me, I use mainly apple for pork and for brisket I have been using apple and hickory lately. As for me, I have never been a fan of mesquite, it is to harsh IMHO. Good Luck. Do you have any place to smoke if it rains?

One more thing. I was planning to use hickory chunks. What does everyone use?

Hickory is great. I lately have been using mostly Pecan. Oak is another favorite of mine. Mesquite is great in deft hands, but I've had too much bad BBQ oversmoked with mesquite in my area. I tend to avoid it.

So the brisket came out awesome. Removed the fat, leaving 1/4". The brisket was 17 pounds, but I probably removed 3 pounds of fat. Seasoned it with just salt and pepper about an hour before putting it on the smoker. Set the smoker up using the minion method. Filled the water pan about 2/3 full of water. Temperature was about 225, but sometimes fell to 215 and got as high as 230. Brisket was on the smoker at 6:00 pm and I took it off at 10:00 am, so it was a 16 hour cook. Once it got to 195, I probed it and it went in like butter. Took it off for 30 minutes, then wrapped it in foil and a towel and let it rest in a cooler for three hours.

Just a heads up because this almost cost me. My weber digital thermometer froze at 163. When I went to bed at 1:00 am it was at 163 and also at 6:00 am. I took the batteries out and replaced and it was higher. About 9:30 the temperature was at 183. This is the first time I peeked at it, and it looked like it was done. My buddy told me to move the probe, and that turned out to be a great idea. The meat was at 195.

Just a heads up because this almost cost me. My weber digital thermometer froze at 163. When I went to bed at 1:00 am it was at 163 and also at 6:00 am. I took the batteries out and replaced and it was higher. About 9:30 the temperature was at 183. This is the first time I peeked at it, and it looked like it was done. My buddy told me to move the probe, and that turned out to be a great idea. The meat was at 195.

Are you sure it wasn't the stall? That is in the neighborhood of when I would normally hit it, you may think something is wrong, but it's not illogical for a 5 hr stall. Some people wrap when they get into the stall to power through it (look up the Texas Crutch). What was the temp difference after you changed the batteries?

I am positive. I even tried turning it off and it wouldn't turn off. Only way I good get it off was to take out the batteries. I went up at least 10 degrees when I changed out the batteries.

To the OP: You paid $150 for a 17 lb packer? That would make it $8.83/lb. I can get choice brisket packers for $2.99/lb at Sam's or COSTCO. Did you get a prime brisket?

James, the USDA Prime whole packer briskets at my Costco are about $3.xx per pound. Don't remember the cents but probably about $3.50 give or take a few. I am wondering if he got a Wagyu brisket.

To the OP: You paid $150 for a 17 lb packer? That would make it $8.83/lb. I can get choice brisket packers for $2.99/lb at Sam's or COSTCO. Did you get a prime brisket?

Back