First beef ribs on the WSM

Good cook! It looked great. We need a smell feature so we can enjoy it completely. Best part, the dinner guests had a smile on their face from being well fed.

The WSM is good little cooker with lots of capability.

This thread inspired me to try some beef ribs. I picked up a 2-pack of chuck short ribs, used some salt & pepper with Worcestershire as a binder and just stuck them in the fridge uncovered. I plan to put them on my Searwood tomorrow around 9:00 am to have ready for dinner by 6:00 pm. I’m thinking an hour or two on Smokeboost mode then up to 250.

Any opinions on whether to wrap them or not around the midpoint?

This thread inspired me to try some beef ribs. I picked up a 2-pack of chuck short ribs, used some salt & pepper with Worcestershire as a binder and just stuck them in the fridge uncovered. I plan to put them on my Searwood tomorrow around 9:00 am to have ready for dinner by 6:00 pm. I’m thinking an hour or two on Smokeboost mode then up to 250.

I think you're gonna have yourself some fine eating. I've done this myself. Deeeelish!

Looks fantastic!
Nice smoke ring, what did you use for smoke wood?

3 chuncks beech and one cherry. The smoke flavour was subdued, which was what I wanted. I did not know if people who only knew artificial smoke flavours would enjoy stronger ones. I am bolder now, looking at some pecan :).

In my humble opinion as beef rib master ( :D ) wrapping speeds up the cooking process, while threatening the bark if you wrap too early. And if you wrap, you can also finish it off in the oven, since it won't gain any flavour from your pit.

My logistics were special that day. I finished the cook with some salmon for the last 20 mins, which then were served immediately. So i needed my pit burning regardless. I was already past the stall, so wrapping was not necessary.

In my humble opinion as beef rib master ( :D ) wrapping speeds up the cooking process, while threatening the bark if you wrap too early. And if you wrap, you can also finish it off in the oven, since it won't gain any flavour from your pit.

My logistics were special that day. I finished the cook with some salmon for the last 20 mins, which then were served immediately. So i needed my pit burning regardless. I was already past the stall, so wrapping was not necessary.
I’d prefer to avoid the hassle of wrapping, I don’t want to mess with the bark, and I think I have plenty of time. So, plan will be no wrap unless something changes along the way today. 😊

So, I read multiple recipes that said to make sure to remove the membrane. Just now I was just reading through some recipes on the Weber app, with one for plate ribs saying not to remove the membrane because it keeps the meat from falling off the bone.

Did I mess things up? Can I fix it somehow? Or, will they be okay without that membrane?

I think worst case is you got yourself some fine pulled beef.

I also did not have a full membrane/silver skin, and it stayed together. I probably was more on the lower limit on doneness

So, I read multiple recipes that said to make sure to remove the membrane. Just now I was just reading through some recipes on the Weber app, with one for plate ribs saying not to remove the membrane because it keeps the meat from falling off the bone.

Did I mess things up? Can I fix it somehow? Or, will they be okay without that membrane?
It’ll be fine. Don’t change a thing. The beef will stay together.

Back